Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings,

I have an AutoIt script that I run every day to start Outlook, OneNote, IE, etc. With Vista I put the shortcut to the script file in the quick-launch area and it worked just fine. Win 7, of course, does not have a quick-launch area. I can put a shortcut to the AutoIt script file on my desktop and it works just as it did in Vista, but when I paste the shortcut to the taskbar it changes from a shortcut to the file to a shortcut to the AutoIt program which then prompts me for the script that I want to run. This is an extra, unnecessary step that I do not want to have to go through each morning. I would like to have the behavior of starting the SCRIPT from the toolbar in Win 7. How can I do this?

By the way, in the process of trying to solve this problem I noticed that when I right click a pinned item on the taskbar I no longer see properties as an option like in Vista. I can get properties from the start menu, but the location (on the General tab) for some items such as AutoIt are truncated making the information useless.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi Sam,

Check out this link for instructions on pinning a file to the taskbar.

This link may also be of help.

Also, the old Quick Launch bar is still available in Windows 7, but it is hidden. If you prefer to set it up check this tutorial for doing so. I have done this because it is easier to add a file to the Quick Launch bar than it is to do the taskbar workaround. So I use both the Quick Launch as well as the Windows 7 taskbar. Both have their strengths. I like the jumplist feature when I am using Word or Excel, but in a case such as yours, I prefer the QL.

Hope this helps!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links!

I decided to create a Quick Launch Toolbar. It is so useful! I had a little trouble making it move to the left side of the taskbar, but finally managed to move it over there.

Now, to customize it by removing some icons I don't want. I guess the only way is to manually add & delete items from %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch? It would also be nice to remove the wording "Quick Launch" to save space on the taskbar. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, so much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SamStamport View Post
    Now, to customize it by removing some icons I don't want. I guess the only way is to manually add & delete items from %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch? It would also be nice to remove the wording "Quick Launch" to save space on the taskbar. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, so much.
    Sam, you can remove icons from the Quick Launch bar by just a left click & hold while dragging them to the desktop, or if you want to dispose of them completely, just right click on the ones you want to eliminate and select delete. If you want to add an icon, just right click on the file or program in Windows Explorer your want to add and select Send to | Desktop (create shortcut) and then drag the new shortcut from the desktop to the Quick Launch bar.

To get rid of the text "Quick Launch" right click the Quick Launch bar and uncheck Lock the taskbar . Then right click again and uncheck Show Title . Finally, right click and checkmark Lock the taskbar . If you add a number of icons to the QL bar, while you have the bar unlocked, you can grab the faint vertical band to the right of the last shown icon with your mouse and drag it to the right to make more visible space for your icons.

While you are at it, if you right click on the QL bar and select View , you can use either Large icons or Small icons. Using Large icons take more room and looks more like the new Taskbar, while the small icons really save space.

Enjoy
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SamStamport View Post
    Thanks for the links!

I decided to create a Quick Launch Toolbar. It is so useful! I had a little trouble making it move to the left side of the taskbar, but finally managed to move it over there.

Thanks, so much.
    There is another option where you don't need to show the desktop icons thus having a nice clean desktop wallpaper.
    If you right click the task bar and select "Toolbars" you can then tick the "Desktop" option. This will put a link on the task bar which holds all your desktop icons.
    Your desktop icon for your script would then be one click away without cluttering up the task-bar with multitudes of icons.
    Then you could right click on the desktop and choose view and untick "show desktop icons".
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I do something similar to Clive except I create a folder called Shortcuts in MY Documents. To this Shortcuts folder I add shortcuts to ANYTHING I want to get access to with one click. This includes apps and files, etc. Then I right click on the taskbar, choose Toolbar, New Toolbar and in the next sequence just point to the Shortcuts folder I created. Voila, the Shortcuts folder is now on the taskbar. It looks like this: Shortcuts >> Just click on the >> and a (in this case) drop up box opens displaying all the shortcuts I have place in the Shortcuts folder. Click on the app or file you want and there it is.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for your wonderful suggestions! Now I can get Win 7 to work the way I want it to.