New Lounger
    Thanks
    II purchased a new computer that had Vista installed, but came with a promise of a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it became available. Windows 7 came in the mail. The installation went smoothly. I did a clean install, not an upgrade in place. The reinstallation of Microsoft Office also went smoothly. Now, when I open either Windows Explorer or Outlook, it opens but immediately opens a small window containing a message saying that the application needs to close. Excel works in most respects, but has one problem. I can not set the options related to a trusted location. Hence I can not run a macro that I wrote and have been using for years.
    The old computer was a 32-bit machine. The new computer has a 64-bit quad processor. I suspect my security setting either in Windows 7 or my firewall. I used ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. I also run Webroot Spysweeper. All of these applications worked together on the old computer. All applications have been upgraded to 64-bit versions except Microsoft Office which Microsoft claims was already 64-bit compatible.
    While Microsoft Office has problems, the Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client works, and the Opera, Firefox, and Safari web browser all work.
    Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
    Have you checked to be sure your new 64 bit version of Webroot Spysweeper did not come with the anti-virus component as well? If it did, then you have two AV programs running in real time, which causes many problems.

MS Office has always been a 32 bit app (Office 2010 will come in a 64 bit version as well as 32 bit) and is fully compatible with Win7 64 bit editions, at least in the 2003 and 2007 versions, so that would not be a problem.

When you mentioned Windows Explorer opens but needs to close, did you mean Internet Explorer, or the Windows Explorer file manager?

Have you tried temporarily disabling both ZoneAlarm and Webroot to see if anything clears up? If these are working correctly, Windows Defender should already have been automatically disabled. You might want to confirm that as well.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    You also do not mention which version of Office you have. I think that perhaps the office installation did not install correctly. It may be worth trying a reinstall. It is also possible your various Security apps are not playing well together. Gerald's suggestion to temporarily disable the AV and/or AM apps to T/S may be appropriate.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuBuchon View Post
    II purchased a new computer that had Vista installed, but came with a promise of a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it became available. Windows 7 came in the mail. The installation went smoothly. I did a clean install, not an upgrade in place. The reinstallation of Microsoft Office also went smoothly. Now, when I open either Windows Explorer or Outlook, it opens but immediately opens a small window containing a message saying that the application needs to close. Excel works in most respects, but has one problem. I can not set the options related to a trusted location. Hence I can not run a macro that I wrote and have been using for years.
    The old computer was a 32-bit machine. The new computer has a 64-bit quad processor. I suspect my security setting either in Windows 7 or my firewall. I used ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. I also run Webroot Spysweeper. All of these applications worked together on the old computer. All applications have been upgraded to 64-bit versions except Microsoft Office which Microsoft claims was already 64-bit compatible.
    While Microsoft Office has problems, the Mozilla Thunderbird e-mail client works, and the Opera, Firefox, and Safari web browser all work.
    Does anyone have a suggestion?
    You don't specifically say that you installed the 64-bit version of Windows 7. Did you?

You must make sure that in addition to a 64-bit version of ZA & Spysweeper you must make sure that it is the Windows 7 compatible version.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who have added comments.
    I am using Office 2007. I did try reinstalling it before I started this thread.
    Zonealarm, SpySweeper, and Windows 7 itself are all 64-bit versions.
    Yes, I did mean "Internet Explorer" needs to close. Windows Explorer (file manager) works fine. Sorry for the carelessness.
    SpySweeper does offer an antivirs capability, but I am not using it. (Incidentally, I did use both antivirus products simultaneously on my old machine. It is only the "on access" portion of the antivirus products that are incompatible. One can manually command a scan to start with the second product with no problems. However, on my new machine, I am not using the SpySweeper antivirus capability at all.)
    I have had the problem for seveal months now, so my memory is fading. I know that I have turned off zone Alarm and SpySweeper individually, but I am not sure whether I turned them both off at once. I am sure that I did not check Windows defender during such a time. I will try this approach again to be sure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Webroot's SpySweeper was malfunctioning. It even prevented me from uninstalling it using the Windows control panel. I uninstalled it using a utility that I obtained from Webroot. I reinstalled SpySweeper. This solved the Outlook problem.

The Internet Explorer was my stupidity. Somehow there are two version of Internet explorer installed on my computer, a 64-bit version and a 32-bit version. An icon for internet explorer became pinned to my task bar. I was not aware of doing this and have now removed it, but since it was there, I used it. It turns out that it linked to the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer. The 64-bit version works just fine.

I would like to uninstall the 32-bit version but have been afraid to do so. I know that Internet explorer is integrated into the operating system. Logically, uninstalling the 32-bit version should be harmless The operating system should be using the 64-bit version. Any comments.

Thanks
    Actually, at this point most use the 32 Bit version of IE because many sites are not ready for the 64 Bit version. Also Adobe Flash has not yet been released in a 64 Bit version so any sites using adobe will not load Flash content at all. The 32 Bit version of IE should work just fine with your PC. I have 3 64 Bit PC's and 2 32 Bit PC's and all are using 32 Bit IE very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuBuchon View Post
    I would like to uninstall the 32-bit version but have been afraid to do so. I know that Internet explorer is integrated into the operating system. Logically, uninstalling the 32-bit version should be harmless The operating system should be using the 64-bit version. Any comments.
    As Ted related, Flash as well as typical add-ons to IE do not yet function in the 64 bit version. MS put the 32 bit version of IE in Windows 7 for this reason.

You cannot find Internet Explorer in the Programs and Features listing to uninstall. Revo Uninstaller does not list it either. The best you can do is click the Start Menu and type Turn Windows Features on or off in the search box, click it when it appears at the top of the search results, and remove the check mark beside Internet Explorer 8. This will not uninstall IE8, nor will it free up any hard drive space. It just offers an easy way to make it disappear, while allowing you to later get it back without reinstalling it. If you turn off IE8, both the 32 and 64 bit versions will most likely be turned off. I would just leave them in place and use the 32 bit IE for full compatibility.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill