Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oneonta, NY, USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    MS Office 2007 SBE sp2, WinXP 32 bit sp3, Athlon 64 x2, 4 GB, Hard Drive 80% free, system patched up to date, scanned multiple times with multiple virus/malware scanners. System rebooted daily.

    Right after the last Patch Tuesday, Outlook started freezing anytime I closed, moved or deleted a message. (Timing may be purely coincidental.) Task Manager would end the application but often I also had to end the process too. PST file was about 250 MB. Anytime that I must close Outlook using Task Manager, I end up with many thousands to many tens of thousands of TMP files in the "C:\\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp" folder that must be deleted or the whole machine gets slower and slower. The files are always named AdA*.tmp where the * can be any 3-4 character alpha-numeric combination. Office Diagnostics always comes up clean, so far the error logs have not captured anything that gets me any suggestions from Microsoft when the logs are uploaded. I cannot find my exact symptom in the MS Knowledge Base.


    In the last week and a half I have tried all of the following:

    Scanned multiple times with scanpst.exe. There are always errors and it takes 4 passes to come clean. (I run scanpst.exe after every crash or every time that I change something that might affect Outlook.)

    Removed old emails, cleaned out the archive, consolidated mail folders.

    Compacted both the Outlook.pst and Archive.pst files repeatedly.

    Defragged the hard drive.

    Deleted all entries in Business Contact Manager (BCM). (Very slight improvement.)

    Removed and reinstalled BCM.

    Manually stopped and restarted SQL server that runs the database that BCM uses.

    Removed the MS security update that loaded on Patch Tuesday.

    None of this made any significant difference, Outlook would still freeze almost immediately once you closed, moved or deleted an email.

    Yesterday I disabled the BCM module using a regedit procedure listed in the MS Knowledge Base for a problem related to the BCM crashing Outlook when the program first opens. Disabling BCM this way makes my problem go away, I have now run a day and a half without freezing once.

    I need to get BCM running properly again, preferably without reinstalling Office or XP from scratch. I suspect that there is a problem in the Registry related to BCM or Outlook's interaction with BCM, does anyone have a suggestion on what to try/do next?
    99 PC's and counting - I love my job!

  2. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oneonta, NY, USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The resolution to the problem seems to be Ad-Aware. I disabled the Outlook scanner add in function in the Trust Center and the problem has stopped, and Outlook responds much better also. I went ahead and uninstalled the Ad-Aware Outlook scanner in Add Remove Programs as added protection against a reoccurance. I am going to test further with Ad-Aware still running, without the Outlook scanner, if Outlook still acts up I will completely remove Ad-Aware.

    Apparently Ad-Aware and Outlook just don't play nice together.
    99 PC's and counting - I love my job!

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,572
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It seems as though many security related addins don't play nice with Outlook. Disabling addins is the best first step to tracking down strange Outlook happenings.

    Joe

    Joe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •