New Lounger
    Thanks
    Greetings! I have a question that I'm not even sure of the terminology to use. When I installed Win7 (Home, 64-bit) a few months ago, I also upgraded to IE8, and lost a bit of functionality that has finally annoyed me to the point of trying to figure out how to fix it. I know it was in IE7 (because I have it still at work), and it probably is in IE8, I just can't find what box to check, or uncheck, in options (or elsewhere) to get it working.

When I click on a link in a webpage, whether it opens to a new tab/window or goes to a next page and then I click back (such as when reading in a forum), the link I clicked on in IE7 would have a little dotted line all the way around the hotlink to show it was the last active URL/link that I clicked on. Thus, I'd know where I left off reading/clicking. I can't for the life of me find how to switch that on in IE8, and I'm forever losing my place. Do any of you kind folks know what the heck I'm talking about, and how to fix it?

Thanks very much!

Steph

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    When I click on a link in a webpage, whether it opens to a new tab/window or goes to a next page and then I click back (such as when reading in a forum), the link I clicked on in IE7 would have a little dotted line all the way around the hotlink to show it was the last active URL/link that I clicked on. Thus, I'd know where I left off reading/clicking. I can't for the life of me find how to switch that on in IE8, and I'm forever losing my place.
    I can't think of any reason for that to change, except that recently there has been some concern about people using scripts to interrogate your browsing history. Having an actively focused link would indicate to that page the last other page you visited, so possibly the browser was patched to block that? Or... it could be something else.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure you can switch it on in IE8... as far as I know, that little outline is gouverned by the CSS 'outline' attribute, which is set by the web page author. Better browsers adhere to the author's wishes, and IE seems to improve with each version.

You can however override the author's wishes, using an accessibility style sheet. Check your browser's accessibility features. If you know CSS, you can write it yourself.