New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have Win7 Ultimate. I mapped a drive to a Windows Home Server (Power Pack 3) share. It shows me this mapped drive has 129GB Total Size but 970GB of Free Space! I had recently added a new 1TB drive to the server and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Maybe the 129GB refers to the total size before I added this new hard drive? I've tried disconnecting and remapping this drive. I've also mapped to a different share and the same thing occurs. When I check the properties for this mapped drive, the "Used space" line says it is "working..." and lists the number 975717888 which looks 975GB listed as bytes. This doesn't make sense -- I don't know if this is a clue as to what is going on.

[attachment=88818:U-properties.jpg]

Anyone know how to rectify this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Dan,

Just a thought, did you try any other utilities that report disk usage to see if they return the correct values? This could be just a programming error in Windows where someone used a formatting command that truncated the actual value in the display of the capacity value. I'd test it but I don't have a drive big enough .

RG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not used Windows Home Server before so I thought this maybe a file-system (chkdsk) issue or NTFS quota issue.

It turns out this is how it is on Windows Home Server

WHS will only show the free space on the primary drive
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/e...e-160073b294d5

Hopefully this explains the anomaly

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys. That explains it. I did the same mapping from my Windows XP laptop and it does a similar thing - that is the "Used space" line in the properties is obviously erroneous data.

I also downloaded the trail for Treesize Professional and it shows the same thing.

Guess I'll have to wait for Microsoft to fix this!