Thread: Macros in 2007

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Having converted a db to 2007 I find all kinds of problems mainly with macros -- I get all kinds of warnings that I didn't get in 2003. Any hints on what one should do when converting? I must be missing a lot, as I feel like a stranger in an application with which I used to be very familiar.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    Having converted a db to 2007 I find all kinds of problems mainly with macros -- I get all kinds of warnings that I didn't get in 2003. Any hints on what one should do when converting?
    Have you converted the db to 2007 format .accdb? or are you just using it in Access 2007? There is absolutely no need to convert it to use it. The only reason to convert is if you really want to use new features that require the new format. I never use the new format.

The best list of what is new this page by Allen Browne that I gave you a day or so ago.
    Are you running the converrted db from a Trusted Location?

I must be missing a lot, as I feel like a stranger in an application with which I used to be very familiar.
    You are certainly not alone with that reaction to 2007.
    Regards
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the trusted location thing done OK and, yes, I did convet thinking that that would cure all the various anomolies I face. However, that didn't solve all the problems. I had to enable all those dangerous macros before my app would even come close to working like it did before. I'm still having a problem making a combo select box work properly, but I can probably figure that one out. Thanks for the Allen Browne suggestion, I'll have to give it a go.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use 2007 all time, but I don't see any security warnings that are any different to what I might see in 2000. I don't use Macros , (only VBA) but 2007 tries to encourage macros and make them easier to run than VBA code.

Can you provide an example of the warning, and the macro action that triggers it?
    Regards
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I no longer get the warnings as I set my apps up to allow macros. Unfortunately the warning messages don't specify which macros -- just macros in general which is another frustration as you aren't given a clue where to look. You are correct, however, in that 2007 will run the 2003 apps quite normally once macros are enabled, trusted sites are turned on and all this security stuff is turned off. What a pain, as it should have been made simple to convert.