Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to fix this old slow XP desk top. At least 5 minutes from BIOS to desk top and then more time to load. I have defragged, removed all temp files and have removed old non-used programs.

How do I repair the existing XP with all current updates w/o the original OS CD which was not provided in 2005. The original 400 gig HD has 165g in use and no partitions.

I do have an XP Pro w/SP3 CD with a different key and not sure if I can use this CD

Bob

Thanks
    Hi Bennett, and welcome to the Lounge!

If a bootable install or recovery CD was not bundled with your computer originally, then there must be a hidden recovery partition somewhere on your hard drive. Is there any option in your start menu to create a recovery CD? If so, I would create one. If there is a utility to restore your computer to its original factory settings, then I would try that. You will have to reinstall your apps and data if you do that, as your PC would be restored to the state it was when you first brought it home. If you have none of these options, I would contact the manufacturer's support to request a recovery CD.

If you are legally eligible to install the XP Pro SP3, then I would consider going that way. I would do the factory image recovery or the XP Pro install rather than an attempt at repair because your XP Home installation is already five years old. A fresh start after five years would be a good thing.

If you do the factory recovery or install the XP Pro, make a backup of your files before you begin. If you choose the XP Pro, I would do a clean install, not an upgrade install. That way you will have a truly fresh start.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To re-install you will need the current key and hope this will work for the version you have on CD. Use Jellybean keyfinder to find the key.
    Have you run a Windows genuine check thing and has it passed? If so you should be able to persuade Microsoft to provide assistance re-installing if the key on your existing PC doesn't work with the new CD.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys.

I have been removing/deleting data and may have deleted any "Recovery" data since I had this ole guy up and running since March attempting to get the speed back close to the design specs. The company I bought this computer from is no longer in business. Yes, I am genuine with MS. I have been updating since I put this ole hard drive back in business.

I had tweaked the hard drive circuit board in 08 and figured I had lost the computer. I went out a bought a Win7 desk top and have been using it every since.Now that the wife wants more time on the computer I started looking at this old XP desk top to see if I could have two computers up and running. So this computer has been setting in the back of the room for the last two years.This March I decided to bring it back into service so I found a guy in Canada who replaces circuit boards so I sent him the damaged circuit board and he sent me a replacement. I replaced the circuit board and then I was able to get the HD up and running again. I had some 69 updates over the next few days to bring XP up to speed. So yes, I am genuine.

So maybe I will call MS and see if I can get some assistance to repair/reinstall my current OS. I do know the key letters-numbers.They are located on the case.

I took advantage of the recent bargain from Newegg on the Acronis True Image Program so I do have the capability to backup any and all data.

I have two encloser IDE drives, two hard dock SATA drives and 10 hard drives-including the primary OS in this ole dog. So I have enough space to save my data-pictures, movies and music- more than once. BTW, only 6 hard drives are currently running on this computer and 4 are waiting in the wings. <g>

Bob