Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a question regarding using two different security programs and am hoping that those of you who are more learned than I on this issue would be so kind to help out here. I currently use the Norton Internet security suite 2010 on a windows seven 64 bit machine. Because of the positive reviews I am reading on the Microsoft security essential program I am considering adding it to run along side of my current Norton program. However, I understand that it isn't neccessarily a good idea to run two security programs beside each other. Can anyone please tell me if my idea is a good or a bad one? Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carroll View Post
    However, I understand that it isn't neccessarily a good idea to run two security programs beside each other.
    Yes, the conventional wisdom is that "real-time" scanning programs will conflict because each wants to be first in line when you access a file.

Thanks
    Hi Bob,

What you want to stay away from is installing two security programs that have active anti-virus protection. Your Norton already is running active protection anti-virus. Active protection means it is always running in the background while you are using your computer. If you download Microsoft Security Essentials and install it, you will have a second active protection anti-virus running. More than one running actively can cause tremendous conflicts and instability on your computer.

If you want to try MSE sometime, when your Norton subscription expires you can install MSE rather than renew your Norton subscription. But be aware that MSE includes anti-virus and anti-malware active protection, but does not include a software firewall while Norton does. However, the Windows 7 firewall should be all you really need if you decide go with MSE at some point.

If you want some extra protection, download Malwarebytes Anti-malware Free Version and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition . These are very good quality supplementary "on demand" anti-malware scanners. "On demand" means they are active only when you start them to perform a scan and they are no longer active after you conclude your scanning. It is a good practice to run a scan with one or the other or with both perhaps once per week. I would do a full scan the first time, and a quick scan thereafter.

Hope this clarifies things for you.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help! I guess it's true about having to much of a good thing.