New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wld like to upgrade (not clean install) my Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate. Is it possible? appreciate suggestions.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. The basics are simple,whilst booted into Vista like normal, stick the Win 7 DVD into the DVD drive and start an in place upgrade.

It really counldn't be easier.

Thanks
    Hi Howard, and welcome to the Lounge!

There are some things to be aware of in your upgrade. First, you can do an in place upgrade if you are moving from a lower edition to an equal or higher one. In your case, from Home Premium to Ultimate. Another thing is the "bittedness" of your Vista and the Win 7 Ultimate upgrade package. If you have a 32 bit version of Vista, your Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade must be 32 bit too, if you want to do the in place upgrade. Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit (or vice versa) requires a custom install (similar to a clean install), not an in place upgrade.

If you want to do an in place upgrade, you have to do so by running the Windows 7 setup from within Windows Vista, as Terry described. Custom installs are to be done by booting to the Windows 7 DVD. Although you will see the option to do an in place upgrade when you boot to the DVD, if you select it you will see an error message.

If you have to do a Custom install because your current Vista and Windows 7 upgrade are different bittedness, then make sure you boot to the Win7 DVD to do a Custom install. Do not reformat your Vista partition to do a true clean install. That can cause needless complications with your product key and other issues when using an upgrade edition.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Howard,

I would also like to welcome you to the lounge.

I have a marked opinion against In Place Upgrade. First have you read much on this versus the Custom (Clean) install? Second a large number of the problems that have come up in Win 7 I believe have come from In Place Upgrade. There is another option which you may want to consider.

The Clean (Custom) install option will give the option to install in the Vista partition. When this is done, the entire Vista OS is put into a folder in your root directory (C called windows.old Within this folder are all your data, pictures, music, everything. You can open this folder and drag everything you need to the new OS. You would have to just reinstall your apps. The data will be right there for you to drag into the new OS.

Doing this Clean (Custom) install I believe gives a much cleaner new OS. If your Vista installation has ANY problems, these can be carried forward into the new Win 7 OS. Also there can be unexpected conflicts between something in the Vista OS and the Win 7 OS. It's difficult to predict this kind of problem.

Just something further to consider. Good Luck either way.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Howard,

Welcome.

I've successfully upgraded 2 dual boot {Vista HP / XP Pro} machines to {Win 7 HP / XP Pro} one a desktop the other a laptop using in-place upgrades. I've had exactly 0 problems. The recommendations I would make are:

1. Make sure your machine is fully upgraded with all the VISTA upgrades and any application upgrades BEFORE you attempt the upgrade.

2. Of course, you should also do an image backup for safety.

3. Reboot you machine twice before starting to make sure all upgrades are fully installed.

The extra time these steps take can just be considered insurance against any problems you may encounter, or might have encountered.

Good Luck!

RG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    And I did a Clean (Custom) install on 6 PC's using the methods I outlined earlier and all have 0 problems. I'm just saying read these forums and others. Many more problems have been reported with the In Place Upgrade. You do indeed carry baggage from the old OS to the new OS. Using the windows.old folder you get ALL you data back with little effort and you have a pristine OS to start with. All I'm saying is do a little research before your final decision. You will be happy you did.

By the way all 6 PC's were online and customized within 4 hours, start to finish with all apps reinstalled and all data in place as before.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Just one word of caution before undertaking that Upgrade installation; Have your computer's proverbial house in order.

You may want to consider dumping or undoing some of those more invasive, and or pervasive os tweaks before your start. Re-tweak after the upgrade has been done successfully & everything is in a known good working state, and all related os updates are safely in place.

Run a thorough antivirus and antimalware scan prior to the upgrade. Ensure that your os is in the healthiest state possible prior to any upgrade.

Clean up or uninstall those uneeded & seldom used programs, I know you've got 'em. Dump programs that aren't compatible or have just iffy W7 compatibility.

Backup your data thoroughly using multiple methods, including drive images and hard copies to known good, varifiable locations off the main drive.

Consider temporarily uninstalling some of the heavy hitter programs that have deep hooks into the os kernel, like Office applications and antivirus programs, or any other programs that have more complex os related interactions. Consider uninstalling some drivers altogether prior to the upgrade.

Set all your clock speeds to default if you have any CPU/Memory voltage adjustments or memory timing tweaks in place.
    ...In otherwords, undue your overclocks if you have any.

Do a thorough junk removal with a utility like CCleaner, and defragment the os thoroughly.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Or do a clean install take the opportunity to get rid of all the junk you've accumulated over the years.

cheers, Paul