Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there Loungers,
    I will be working at my PC doing normal businessesy things (I am a business consultant & lecturer, so will be most likely using any combo of Outlook, Firefox, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Windows Explorer, Access, Paintshop Pro, Publisher).
    My tower PC will suddenly and unexpectedly shut down.
    How it happens: I will be working, then I will hear the fan start to whir. I have about three seconds from that sound before the machine has completely shut down. I try to frantically close programmes and save files (if I have Outlook open, I will close that first, as it takes most time).

The PC will completely shut off, then it will usually restart without me turning it on.

There appears to be no pattern in the open apps, instructions, load, time of day, number of programmes open or heat in the room. For example, I can have only Windows Explorer open, leave my office and come back to find that I am on the desktop again because the machine has shutdown and restarted on me, yet again. Yesterday I had two copies of Windows Explorer, then Outlook, Excel, Word, Adobe Acrobat Writer and Firefox open when it shutdown on me for the first time (I was marking student research reports).

My PC powered off yesterday when it was reasonably warm about 9 times (in about 10 hours), and has powered off once so far today when it is quite cold and overcast (in two hours).

My husband is an electrical engineer and has dusted the fan and the heat sink. He has checked the connections. The machine is pretty clean. I have looked at the Event Viewer and it shows nothing at all.

This machine is XP Pro SE with service patch two.
    I am using AVG anti-virus and it is up to date, as well as AdAware and Webroot Spyware Sweeper (weekly).
    I use PC Pitstop Optimise fortnightly to keep the registry etc trim.
    I back-up regularly (though that has become difficult with the shutdowns).

Help - this is driving me nuts!

Thanks
    This sounds surprisingly like it could be something dying in the tower. I would check Power Supply voltages, CMOS battery, could be CPU or RAM, could be a lot of things. This does not sound like S/W conflicts. Could be a fan causing overheating of the CPU or graphics card.

How old is the tower? A competent technician may diagnose the problem for low dollars to let you know what might be going on. You may have to make a decision on whether the tower is worth fixing. Plus, do you have your original installation disk and key for your XP OS? After a major repair the OS will most likely have to be reinstalled. I know this is not good news, but that would be my thoughts. If you have to purchase a new PC, your HD could be used as a slave to get your data off it. Once you have all your data, the HD could be reformated and used as a second partition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted - failing all else, I will take it in for diagnosis. The tower would be between three and four years old, but I can't remember the exact date of purchase.

Thanks
    Yea, it really sounds like hardware failure rather than software failure, possibly heat related.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had one doing this awhile back, turned out to be a bad power supply.

Ron

Thanks
    Are you able to isolate which fan it is; Case vs PSU?
    Download HWMonitor 1.16 32-bit .zip & track your temperatures.
    Check in the hardware section of your BIOS for temps immediatly after restart.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ron & Clint; I have downloaded the ap & will try getting some diagnosis data. I think I will also take the PC into the shop this coming week & see what the techies make of it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,
    Instead of merely recording the number of times this PC has slam-dunked me in a day (9 yesterday and 7 so far today), I have been recording the times it has slam-dunked me today as well. Interestingly, each time the PC has shut down, it is 60 minutes after the last restart. Any ideas as to where I might find a 60 minute timer in this thing?

Living in hope!

Thanks
    I guess I can assume your system temps & voltages are all within normal specification.

Any other errors in the event viewer other than the "unexpected shut down".
    Start looking at hardware as your source, especially if you encounter the same thing in safemode.

I think I will also take the PC into the shop this coming week & see what the techies make of it.
    That's a good plan.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, will still take the machine in, but have the week from hell at the moment. Pity techies don't do pick ups from where we live :-(
    By the way - the Event Viewer shows nothing aside from one Office Error on the 24th (today) at 8am. Nothing at all for yesterday. Interesting.