New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Win7 Pro, 64 bit system and use the built-in Windows Firewall. Is it feasible, or even safe, to install a second Firewall product? I'm considering Vipre Premium. Thank you.

Thanks
    Having 2 security apps including 2 S/W firewalls can cause significant problems. The Win 7 firewall when combined with a good AV/AM (such as MSE) provides excellent security while running very quietly in the background. Any other apps should be scan on request only. Having a couple of these apps running together will cause them to attempt to be the first and they will fight each other.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Jerome, and welcome to the Lounge!

As Ted related, running two software firewalls at the same time can cause real problems, because most are not designed to work well together. So it is recommended to never run two third party firewalls on your PC.

Windows 7 firewall is much different than earlier Windows firewalls, and it does a great job as the only software firewall running. There is no real compelling need to add another firewall in a home networking environment. However, for those who want to run a third party firewall in conjunction with the Win7 firewall, you should not worry about conflicts because Windows firewall is designed to yield certain areas of protection and oversight to any third party firewall that takes ownership over those areas. In doing so, it continues to maintain ownership of firewall responsibilities that the third party firewalls do not undertake to control.

If the third party firewall is removed, the Windows 7 firewall will detect that and again take ownership of those areas vacated by the third party firewall. The key is if the third party firewall is properly written to play ball correctly with the Windows firewall, and most seem to do so these days.

If you do decide to add another firewall, I would not shut down the Windows 7 firewall because it covers certain areas that no third party firewall will.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    If you do decide to add another firewall, I would not shut down the Windows 7 firewall because it covers certain areas that no third party firewall will.
    Gerald,

You've pricked my curiosity could you please elaborate?

RG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi RG,

Check out this thread about firewalls in the Windows 7 forum and follow the discussion there. Note JoeP's postings on Windows Firewall. Check the Microsoft Technet Link to which JoeP made reference.

Also, chapter 15 "Security Essentials" of Windows 7 Inside Out (ISBN 978-0-7356-2665-2) published by Microsoft Press, goes into the changes in Windows 7 firewall and discusses keeping it active when using a third party firewall.

Here is a quote from PC Magazine's article "Security and Windows 7: Firewall and Networking" :

"Microsoft is well aware that most users install a "real" firewall or security suite and turn off Windows Firewall. In the past, many third-party security products have automatically turned off Windows Firewall to avoid conflicts. In Windows 7, Microsoft does the job itself. When you have a recognized third party firewall installed it turns off the built-in firewall, disables its settings, and reports "These settings are being managed by vendor application such-and-such." Apparently, Windows 7 does not turn off all features of its firewall, based on information from other sources, so it is best for users to leave it on and allow Windows to manage its firewall.

Here is another good article about Windows 7 firewall capabilities by Debra Shinder, MCSE, MVP (in Security) titled "What's New in the Windows 7 Firewall".
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gerald,

Thanks! Looks like I have some serious reading ahead of me. Replies like yours makes this forum the great place it is! Thanks again.

RG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted & Gerald for some great feedback. Based on your input & information in Gerald's links, I'm going to stick with the Win 7 Firewall. Especially since we have a LAN/Router. Thanks again.