2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have wondered whether it is possible to make a windows iso file from the windows folder which has all the drivers and SP3 AP. My restore CD is Windows Media Edition 2005 SP1 OEM with all the junk. This is on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Is there a way to do this? I have read about the slipstreaming but not to use OEM disc. I need to do a clean install but really don't want to go through all the cleanup and updating.

Thanks
    Slipstreaming works just fine with many OEM disks, Dell, for example. Generally, if it is a full install OEM disk, slipstreaming will work. If it is an image restoration disk, slipstreaming won't work.

I would give that a try, and then a repair/reinstall rather than a clean install. You can do the slipstream using just SP3.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I too have slipstreamed SP3 using an OEM XP installation disk and it worked very well. It was a full OEM install disk, not an image restoration disk as bbearren related.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    nLite is your friend.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips. I will try using my OEM CD and slipstreaming SP3 after we get by the holiday. I have always been reluctant to delve into this slipstreaming but it won't hurt to try and I will do a full backup first. :-)

Thanks
    I've slipstreamed a XP Pro SP-3 Dell OEM disk before without any trouble. Many resources available, all you need to do is pick the method your comfortable with.

XP SP3+Slipstreaming

Of course, another way to do it would be to make a full drive image once you do reinstall XP; clear out the OEM junk,
    apply the downloaded service pack, and reinstall all your programs and make your final os tweaks. In fact if you could get yourself an image of just the basic os with SP-3, that would be far less hassel than any clean install.

Give this article a good thorough reading: The Explorer: Fred's System Setup Secrets, it's dated August 31, 1999 but still very much relevant.

See the part on "image backups" in the above article.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Give this article a good thorough reading: The Explorer: Fred's System Setup Secrets, it's dated August 31, 1999 but still very much relevant.

See the part on "image backups" in the above article.
    That's another one I first read from "The Langalist" newsletter. I've refined my own adaptation over the years to include more partitions and selective drive imaging which allows a complete restoration to bare metal, if necessary, in a minimum amount of time.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows