Thread: Boot sequence

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This looks simple and probably is, but I canít figure out how to do it.

I have what looks like (and for a time was) a dual-boot setup. I had Win 7 on one partition and Win 7 on the other, and I could boot from either. (This was the result of a partitioning operation that appeared to go wrong, and I re-installed, unnecessarily, it turned out.)

I reformatted the redundant partition and have what I want (including 64-bit Office 2010), but when I turn the computer on I am still confronted with two boot commands from which to choose, and the one I want is line two. Can anyone tell me how to revert to a normal boot?

Thanks
    EasyBCD is a boot manager that will allow you to fix your MBR to show only one copy of Win 7. You will have to register to download the V2 beta. This is fully compatible with Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Right click on Computer.
    Select Properties.
    Choose Advanced System settings.
    Click on the Advanced tab.
    Click the Settings button under Startup and recovery.
    Edit the system startup.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both for your replies. I tried Ted's suggestion shortly after I got it and it seems most impressive, for which much thanks. It did everything I wanted done, but I haven't yet got around to seeing if I can eliminate the need for any reply at all - I want to have a backup first. Paul's suggestion may be more convenient since it is a feature of the O/S itself, but I haven't tested it.

This is pretty rare territory for most of us, and it's great to have a source of information for it.

We may have started something: The How-To Geek has a major item on it as well.

Thanks
    I do not know the inner workings of EasyBCD but I suspect it does something similar to the How To Geek article. It's just that many will not be comfortable using a Cmd prompt to edit their MBR using bcdedit so the 3rd party app is just the ticket for those folks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I do not know the inner workings of EasyBCD but I suspect it does something similar to the How To Geek article. It's just that many will not be comfortable using a Cmd prompt to edit their MBR using bcdedit so the 3rd party app is just the ticket for those folks.
    It has a much prettier face, that's for sure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I realize that I probably pump BootIt Next Generation too much for some (no, I'm not on the payroll, just a fan), but it has BCD editing capabilities also. It's not as pretty as EasyBCD (and it's not free, either), but it's also not as intimidating as bcdedit.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"óCaptain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."óM.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."óSir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows