Thread: Syle in Tables

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    We are working on a document which is to be formatted.
    We have our inbuilt style for Table text .Every time we try to correct the formatting and apply the table text style the word is attching some juck formatting to the style and maing it bold and changhing the color of the font.
    We have tried many options:
    1. Imported the style from the template
    2. Try to modify the style
    3. try to delet the style (it will then pick another style with the junk charecters and formatting again)
      Tried find and replace style also

Kindly suggest what needs to be done.

Regards,
    Techwriter2k9

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Table styles area great idea that has been badly implemented. Basically, they just don't do what the user needs. I've given up wasting any more time on them and have stored several formatted tables as AutoText entries for use as required. There just aren't sufficient hours in a day to get Table Styles to work.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Paragraph styles will properly apply to table text if you follow these steps:
    • For W2003, make sure you do not set any font formatting in the table style when whole table is selected. Use paragraph styles to format table text
    • For W2007/10, set your preferences for the regular text of your document in the defaults (manage styles > defaults tab). Then do not set anything in Normal. Now you can make font settings in the table style.

If you have fairly simple number-rich tables, setting the font in the table style may be right for you. But if you have text-rich tables, you'll likely need to apply paragraph styles anyway. I follow the Word Team's guidance on setting defaults and leaving normal empty, but I create and apply my set of table paragraph styles to table text.

If tables are based on improperly constructed table styles, they can behave as you describe. The fix is to select the table and in W2007 clear the table style (or in W2003 apply an unmodified Table Grid or Table Normal), then press Ctrl+space to clear direct character formatting, and Ctrl+q to clear direct paragraph formatting. Then apply your table and paragraph styles.

HTH,
    Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with Terry that table styles are a great idea but I think they can generally be harnessed if you know where to look. The big problem is with way that the table style has a cascade of formatting that can override the font attributes. For example the table style can set a font override on the entire table which could be overridden by the banded rows setting which could be overridden by the Header Row setting which could be overridden by the Top Left Cell setting.

Without seeing the document you are using the first place to go to stop the paragraph styles from being overridden by the lower level table style attributes is to check the settings in the Table Tools>Design Ribbon. Turn off all the ticked boxes in the Table Style Options to see if you still have the font problem. If so, edit the applied table style to try to remove the attribute that is included in the style.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankyou all....
    it worked I am able to correct the tables formatting using the table autoformat.

Regards,
    Techwriter2k9

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Without seeing the document you are using the first place to go to stop the paragraph styles from being overridden by the lower level table style attributes is to check the settings in the Table Tools>Design Ribbon. Turn off all the ticked boxes in the Table Style Options to see if you still have the font problem. If so, edit the applied table style to try to remove the attribute that is included in the style.
    Good advice.
    It is nice, though, to be able to use one table style for most tables in a document and turn the options on and off as needed. In a typical large proposal, there are 30-some tables. Two or three tables don't have heading rows and one or two need column, not row, banding. Sometimes I use the total row as a spacer before the following text, and that is not always needed either. I have not yet specified different font setting for, say, banded rows, and so have not encountered the font problems with that cause. (But now that you've brought that capability to my attention, I see possibilities. How about for question and answer or risk and mitigation tables?)

Pam
    Pam Caswell

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Farrell View Post
    Table styles area great idea that has been badly implemented. Basically, they just don't do what the user needs. I've given up wasting any more time on them and have stored several formatted tables as AutoText entries for use as required. There just aren't sufficient hours in a day to get Table Styles to work.
    Hi, Terry,

If you follow either of the methods I described, table styles will work.

Pam
    Pam Caswell