Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am trying to create a macro where the user enters the number of rows and then a table is created with that number of rows.

It's actually a little more sophisticated than that but I'm stuck at the point where the macro won't use the bookmark value to create the number of rows.

This is the tricky line:

Selection.Cells.Split NumRows:=ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("NumRows").Selec t, NumColumns:=2, MergeBeforeSplit:=True

(The actual task involves splitting a cell in an existing table into x rows and two columns.)

Using an Ask field I know how many rows there should be (NumRows) but Word won't run the macro with the syntax above.

How do I write the macro such that the numeric value of NumRows is accepted?

Multiple TIAs,

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi David,

Just looking at the line of code, 'NumRows' is looking for a number value (like an Integer or Long) - just the same way that NumColumns is accepting "2" as a value.

"Activedocument.Bookmarks("NumRows").Select" is a method, and does not by itself return a value.

To return the value of the NumRows bookmark as a string, you could use

Activedocument.Bookmarks("NumRows").Range.Text

and to turn that into a number value you could use CInt(Activedocument.Bookmarks("NumRows").Range.Tex t)

so something like

Selection.Cells.Split NumRows:=CInt(Activedocument.Bookmarks("NumRows"). Range.Text), NumColumns:=2, MergeBeforeSplit:=True

should work - with the caveat that I haven't tested it!

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much Gary!

I searched the web for quite a bit to find out what I thought would be relatively straightforward info but I couldn't find it. So I very much appreciate your efforts.

It wasn't necessary to convert the bookmark to a number as it receives a numerical value when the user completes an ASK field.

Best,

David