Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to encrypt a folder but when I go to its properties, advanced button, the "Encrypt contents to secure data" option is not available. I have Windows Vista Home Basic and wonder if there is a way to do this. I have some private information stored in Word documents that I have password protected and would like to then store these docs in an encrypted folder. I'd like to hear your thoughts on my plan and if there's a way I can do this without upgrading to Windows 7. Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Hi Pappy,

I do not believe your edition of Vista has native encryption support. You could download and use the free open source encryption tool called TrueCrypt available here . With TrueCrypt you can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and it will mount it like a true disk. Everything you need to know is documented on their web site.

Another free option is Encrypt On Click, which will allow you to encrypt as little as one file or folder. I use this program on Windows 7 64 bit and have no problems with it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    TrueCrypt is the way to go. It also allows you to open the data on another machine, which Windows encryption won't allow (without serious tinkering).

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hey Pappy, Paul raises a very good point.

Encrypt On Click will also allow you to copy your encrypted file and/or folder to another computer, and as long as you have Encrypt On Click installed on the computer you copy to, you can enter your password after copying to open and modify your files.

I only encrypt a few files, so I decided to go with Encrypt On Click. If I were to encrypt quite a few files or folders, I would switch to TrueCrypt.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill