3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    XP/SP3. Roughly half the time I start my computer cold, i.e., after several hours or more shut down, it crashes the first time during start up. The crash occurs a second or two after the blue MS Windows XP screen appears with the phrase, "Loading Your Personal Settings." I've checked the System Event Log, but there is nothing showing at the time it occurs (there is a parallel port error much later). The closest notes in the Event Log occur 5 seconds before, showing the Event Log starting and Service Pack 3 kicking in. The crash kicks in the blue screen with the codes that I've listed below. I can't find anything specific about those codes via google or at MS site. The other thing to note is that virtually every time I reboot, if not every time, usually just by pushing the restart button, XP loads correctly. So, the question is how to trace what might be going on. Any ideas?

Crash Screen Error:
    0x0000007E (OxC0000005,0x804EF76B,0xBA507AAC,0xBA5077A8)
    variants ,0xBA4FAAC,0xBA4F37A8)
    ,0xBAEFAAC,0xBA5EF7A8)

Thanks
    This only occurs after a cold off state?
    Give us some more information on the make, model, and the age of your computer please.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    As Clint said, more information would be good. Has any new hardware or software been added to your system just before the problem appeared? How long has SP3 been installed?

If you have another user account set up on the machine, try switching to it for a time to see if the same error occurs.

The second code, OxC0000005, is commonly a memory access violation.

Check out this MS KB article for troubleshooting 0x0000007E stop errors.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    7E is an unhandled exception and 5 is a memory access violation as Gerald points out.

The fact this is happening when the machine is cold and goes away later suggests a temperature related hardware problem, probably but not necessarily memory.

Suggest removing the memory sticks, swap them around and reseat them and see if the symptoms change. While you are at it remove, clean and reseat any expansion cards, and give your machine a good dusting out (careful of static!)

If this is an older machine it could be a power supply problem whereby the output is unstable until it gets up to temp.

If the problem persists, easiest thing might be not to turn the machine off if it is in daily use. Not the greenest solution, tho

Jock

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions and I'll follow them up. I was using a Rosewill parallel/serial card for my HP 4M and would sometimes get crashes after the desktop loaded, but also occasionally for something else. Since a parallel port error showed in the Event Log, I pulled the card and switched to a USB connection. After that, no crashes for awhile, then they started up again, this time as reported (50% is probably a high estimate, but no matter). The PSU is a Corsair VX450. I hadn't thought about that possibility, but I did go through three or four of those in a year before finding a good one electrically (physically, if the wires coming out aren't placed just so, the PSU fan hits one or more). The computer is a self build, done last summer:

- Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P w/ Athlon 64 X2
    - ATI Radeon 4670 video card
    - 4 gb DDR2 memory (2x2)
    - 3 HDDs, 2 WDs and one Seagate (boot drive)
    - XP/SP3 a long time (clean install about 10 months ago) - updates kept current

Thanks
    Sounds like you,Might not have enough power.Here's a link to help you figure that out;Power supply Calculator From what you have describe you might need to go with a bigger power supply.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I did use that site before purchase and it was nominally fine. Moreover, this PSU is rated very conservatively. Test measures by online operations have shown it more up in the high 500Ws range, vs. its 450W nominal rating. That's not necessarily to say that the PSU might not be at fault.

On a related matter, I got a PORTCLYS.exe crash this morning on cold start, something that occurs very infrequently since the parallel/serial card was pulled. Usually, it's just an error message in Event Viewer > System. The error message (7000) is as follows:

"The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

Seems like a catch-22 error statement, given the lack of a card. Any suggestions for dealing with it?