Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a D-Link Wireless USB Adapter...which works fine until I connect a USB Drive. The USB Drive connects, but I lose my Internet connection and have to reboot to get it back. I have tried different USB ports and I have tried booting up the Desktop with the USB drive already attached. They won't play together. I was getting this with a Belkin USB Wireless Adapter as well, and decided to try a different adapter...plus the router is D-Link. As long as I don't try and use other USB ports for anything, it works great. Any ideas?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did find a way to make it work, but I don't like it....
    - I plug in the thumb drive...network connection takes a nose-dive
    - I unplug the adapter (If I try to do the safe unplug, it tells me I can't because a program is using it...so I just unplug it anyway)
    - Wait 10 seconds and plug it back in...the light starts flashing again and the network connection comes all the up

Now I have the thumb drive and the adapter plugged in and both working...it works, but this is really dumb. Is there a conflict? What could it be?
    I used the driver disk that came with the product, so that should be OK.
    But the next time I need to connect a drive via USB, I'll have to go through the same junk probably...need to check that out.

Thanks
    A little more information,as to what operating system.Are you having this type of trouble with a laptop or?
    In any event,I would make sure your router has the latest firmware.Then,Uninstall the driver that came with your usb adapter.Then install this driver here;Ralink.ONLY install the driver!Hope this helps you.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    If I plan ahead, I can have the adapter physically disconnected before I boot up ... then connect the thumb driver...connects!...then connect adapter...connects!

The Desktop PC doesn't like it that the network connection is down while trying to connect to the server/domain and network drives, but it does work.

And I can add additional USB drives at this point and they don't mess with the adapter. Sure would like to know what the real problem is.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 on a Dell Desktop. The problem appears to be specific to the Kingston Data Traveler 16 GB USB Drive I am using. I noticed a difference when I first use it on PCs...it usually loads the driver and then requests that you reboot the PC. I've never seen a thumb drive require a reboot before I bought this one. So the work-around is the only way to use it with this PC/D-Link Wireless Adapter. After I boot up the PC and connect normally to our server, then I safely remove the adapter and then plug in the USB Drive, which connects fine...and then plug the adapter back in and the network connection magically reappears. D-Link says they are going to look into problem...I am the first to report it they say.