Lounger
    Thanks
    In XP, one can go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types, choose an extension, then choose Advanced and typically see a list of actions associated with the file type. One can change the default action and/or edit an action to change the program/command used for that action.

I haven't been able to find a similar facility in Windows 7. I do know aboutControl Panel -> Default Programs where one can change the primary program association for a file type, but this doesn't provide the list of actions.

It appears that one may be able to manipulate the list of actions via direct registry editing. After a brief look, it also appears that this task can be accomplished with FileTypesMan from nirsoft.net possibly even more conveniently than via the native function in XP, but I'd still like to know if this capability exists in the Windows 7 UI.

Thanks
    Hi Bob,

I know of no exact equivalent in Windows 7 so that you can change an action. However, Nirsoft as a utility called FileTypesMan v1.57 - File Types Manager for Windows that might just fill the bill for you. If you are running a 64 bit edition of Windows 7, be sure to download the 64 bit edition of FileTypesMan.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 doesn't have a nice tool, but I like the Default Programs Editor which includes a tool to change file associations.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Too bad something like this would be removed from Windows, but FileTypesMan does seem to be a good replacement.

I found Default Programs Editor lacking. For at least one filetype, the command shown for two of its context menu entries is different than what is actually executed when a relevant file is right clicked and the relevant action chosen.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've also found Windows File Types Configurator ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/types/ ) which, among other things, can change the icon associated with a file type. I didn't figure out any way to do that with FileTypesMan.