New Lounger
    Thanks
    RESOLVED........... SEE LAST POST

What this is is totally beyond me.

I thought I might have a problem with JAVA so I (think I) uninstalled and re-installed it and the popup still comes up every time I start an app... Firefox, IE, printing, up pops this little monster and then, once I click on the OK button, it goes away and the app proceeds to perform as originally intended.

I R Cornfused.

As far as I know I DO have all permissions (signed in as administrator with no other users on computer) so any hints you may be able to give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    All of the apps you mention could need to use Java. Which Java version is installed right now? I would use an uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller (very highly rated in these forums) to uninstall Java again (all listed versions, you may see more than one listed). I would uninstall the Java plugins/add ons in IE and FF. I would then use CCleaner (It is free, although a donation is requested) to clean up the remaining leftovers. CCleaner will also clean out the temp files, browser cache, etc. Another well respected app. I would then download and reinstall Java again. I do not recall this morning (very early and still working on my first cup of coffee) if Java automatically adds the browser plugins/add ons, but I think it does.

You problem could be a problem with older version fighting newer version. The newest version of Java is supposed to remove the older version, but I have seen Java with several version in one PC. Uninstall them all. It also could be related to full Internet files and history causing problems. Good luck!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The path shown in the title bar of that msg is a really funky equivalent of c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jqsnotify.exe. Why it goes all the way down the tree to the ff folder and then back up to jre6\bin is a mystery to me, but if that full tree structure doesn't exist it will fail.

I would say Ted's suggestion is a good one. This does look like a skewed installation sort of problem.

Jock

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jock,

The path stated would be the correct one because the ..\ means go up one level. So going up ..\ 4 times would land you in the C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin directory which is where the file in question (jqsnotify.exe) should be. If neither of the products Ted recommended works try this one- JavaRA from- http://raproducts.org/.

Butch

Thanks
    Hi Butch

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say, but the point was that if those other subfolders in that odd path didn't exist then the reference would fail even if the .exe is in jre6\bin. It just seems like a wonky roundabout way to do things unless the object is to verify that folder structure is intact.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Java-Ra produced no good result: The popup is still appearing.

I also tried gong to START>RUN>MSCONFIG and trying to remove it from STARTUP as well as from SERVICES, neither of which produced the desired result: To get rid of this bloody nuisance!

(It didn't appear at all in STARTUP and un-checking the box in SERVICES was no help, neither!)

More ideas??

Oi! It's drivin' me batty, t'is!

Thanks
    Did you try using Revo to uninstall all versions of Java, then use CCleaner to get rid of the temp stuff? Also uninstall pludins and add ons for Java, then download latest Java and reinstall?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Vince

I went to an XP pro machine and searched the registry for jqsnotify.
    Sure enough there were 2 references to it with that same path structure to the program.

Have you verified that c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ff is indeed a valid path on your system?
    If not then manually create the necessary folders to make it so. It doesn't matter if they are empty, they just have to exist.
    Have you verified that c:\program files\java\jre6\bin is the folder where jqsnotify.exe is found?
    If not then put a copy of it there.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply!

Have you verified that c:\program files\java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ff is indeed a valid path on your system?

Have you verified that c:\program files\java\jre6\bin is the folder where jqsnotify.exe is found?
    The paths seem to exist per the above screenshot...

:::::::::::

Ted: Apologies for not replying before this. Internet caches are cleaned out daily, and cookies are pruned on a regular basis. I usually do not save passwords (I write 'em down) so the clutter-factor is fairly low. (I use Firefox vs. Internet Destroyer.)

The last time I used CC Cleaner, it cleaned a bit more than it should have (or than I expected it to) and I had to do some fancy footwork, so I'd prefer not to try it again.

:::::::::::::::::::::::

A suggestion was made that instead of using JAVA-RA, I should simply delete JAVA entirely from the computer by using Control Panel, then re-install from Sun's website thus getting a known-up-to-date installation. My problem is I have yet to achieve a clean uninstallation by that method. Seems there's always the odd bit dangling about just waiting to clog an electronic artery.

Ahhhh... Wurra, Wurra, Wurra!

Thanks
    Hi Vince

This is quite bizarre, for sure.

How about trying this as a test.
    Go to Control Panel and click on the Java icon to open Java Control Panel
    Click on Advanced tab
    Open up Miscellaneous key
    Remove checkmark on "Java Quick Starter"
    Apply/OK/Reboot

jqsnotify.exe is the java quick starter signature, so doing this may remove the error.
    It may also slow down java startup the first time.

There is a bug report on the java site which explains one way to generate this error (not that you would want to do so!)
    - open Firefox
    - uninstall java
    - open another instance of Firefox

Also, jqsnotify.exe has been the target of malware.

It seems likely registry problems could cause this. I would scan the registry looking for references to jqsnotify.exe.
    I have found them in : HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/ShellNoRoam/MUICache
    and: HKU/Defalut/Software/Microsoft/Windows/ShellNoRoam/MUICache

Jock

** Note edited by Jock to add malware bit.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hoi, Jock!

This is quite bizarre, for sure.
    I quite agree!

How about trying this as a test.
    Go to Control Panel and click on the Java icon to open Java Control Panel
    Click on Advanced tab
    Open up Miscellaneous key
    Remove checkmark on "Java Quick Starter"
    Apply/OK/Reboot
    Did that but the Java Quick Starter was already un-checked.

Now, as far as checking the registry, it's been quite a time since I really dug into the nuts and bolts of WINDOWS (not since WIN 98) so I'm not really sure how one goes about finding specific things in there.

Thanks
    Hi Vince

Start/run. Type in regedit and hit enter.Registry editor starts

Hit CTRL-F (or edit/find) and type in jqsnotify.exe and click on find next.
    It will search the registry and show you the first match it encounters. The registry path should be shown in the status bar at the bottom.
    Hit F3 for find next. Keep doing so until it says no more matches.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Firefox, go to Tools > Addons > disable Java Quick Start there. This will kill the popup when using FF.

Unchecking quick start in Control Panel > Java > Advanced should eliminate the popup for IE.
    WELL!

Much screaming from backstage area, sounds of wood breaking, flats shaking and the light bars starting to sway, language heard as would make a Norweigan Fishwife blush as our hero pokes his head out between the curtains to say:

"Thanks, TonyT! That solved the problem!"

Now: How do I mark this as "resolved"?