New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running a new PC with Windows 7 and Office 2007, after a few months I have started receiveing this message "There was a problem sending the command to the program" when I double click on an excel file or attachement. I have no trouble opening Excel files through the program itself. Internet searches suggest others are having similar problems, sometimes with Word though. There is talk of Zonealarm being the culprit, but I run Norton Internet Security 2009, additionally everything did work correctly originally. I have all updates for Windows and MS Office 2007 installed, and run the MS Office repair tool. The double click seems to open Excel, but not the file. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Is this on just one file or all files? It is not obvious in your post. If just one file I would suspect a corruption in the file. I do not find where NIS 2009 is Win 7 compatible. Norton shows the 2010 version as Win 7 compatible. Searching NIS 2009 shows a list of up to Vista. I do not have personal knowledge of either product so I do not absolutely know if 2009 works with Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. No Excel file will open with a double click, but they all will open through the program itself, so the file is not corrupt. However I did start having problems with Excel files hanging when partly open, and also not closing properly, before this inability to double click a file started. A double click causes Excel to open, but the file wont open, so it cant be a problem with matching of file extensions to programs. Norton IS is probably a 2010 version, its an OEM version, build number 16.0.8.41.
    I have had the computer since February, but this problem has only developed in the last couple of months I think its either an update that has caused it or a corruption in Windows 7. It seems other people have a similar problem with WIN7 , but mainly with Word, probably because a higher % or people use it compared to Excel. Always open to suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a win with this one, a friend found the problem, apparently it was as simple as the dynamic data exchange being disabled in Excel settings, how this happened I dont know, but very pleased it is fixed!

Thanks
    This Forum lists this problem and a fix. The pertinent quote is shown:

"Say you have Excel 2007 installed, double clicking on a xlsx file will start excel and initiate a DDE open transaction. Now, in Excel you can set an option to ignore DDE requests from other applications (that is not acting as a DDE server). If you set this option to ignore DDE requests you will see that Excel fails to open the document as requested by explorer open.
    PS. Excel options are under the Office button (left top corner), click Excel Options at the bottom of the menu, select advanced and select "Ignore other applications that use DDE "

Rest assured DDE is just like COM not going away any soon."

You have to scroll down to the General section. Mine is not checked, but this may help you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy