Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife's computer practically came to a halt and I discovered that two tasks were using nearly 100% of CPU. They were explorer.exe (running about 60+%) and msseces.exe (running aboutt 30+%). The latter is part of the MSE program. I killed it and things wient back to normal. Any ideas why this happens and what do to about it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    From What Is Msseces.exe & MsMpEng.exe Process? And Why They Are Running?:

"Msseces.exe is the front-end GUI of MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials). If you have installed the latest antivirus from Microsoft, then this process keeps the programís graphical interface running."

Did you check to see if MSE was running a scan?

Was explorer being used for copying or moving files during the slowdown?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if it was running a scan, but after running the initial quick scan I did not turn on any scheduled scans. Perhaps explorer was being used, I have no way of knowing.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tucker View Post
    My wife's computer practically came to a halt and I discovered that two tasks were using nearly 100% of CPU. They were explorer.exe (running about 60+%) and msseces.exe (running aboutt 30+%). The latter is part of the MSE program. I killed it and things wient back to normal. Any ideas why this happens and what do to about it?
    I had a similar experience. After Googling on this, I found advice that suggested MSE sometimes gets hung up trying to scan its own EXE file. See this prior post for how to exclude the MSE program folder from the scan process.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The funny thing is that I don't have MSE running any scans. At least I didn't have any scheduled. Perhaps it does this on its own.