2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOP STORY

Going green with Win7 is harder than it looks

By Susan Bradley

Trying to consume less energy in a home office by putting workstations to sleep automatically seemed like the right thing to do.

But when two Windows 7 PCs developed insomnia, returning them to a greener state let me discover some interesting tricks and tips.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/05/27/02 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 18:35.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I enjoyed the depth of research on your article. I found another way that always works for me, providing the bios allows power up via LAN.

Logmein has a feature that allows you to turn on any computer on a LAN, providing ONE computer is available. In your case, Windows Home Server. So, I always just do a normal shut down. I don't have any relationship with the Logmein company. Also, I own 2 "pro" licenses, as well as have about 15 "free" connections (mostly friend or non-profit support).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I have been using PCs since DOS 1.0, I guess that I've simply fallen into assuming that Windows doesn't work in some areas, and sleep mode is one of them. My brand new H-P G-71 laptop came with Win 7 home installed. Of course, Windows and all apps are fully updated and patched. I manually invoke sleep when I won't be using it in the next two hours. My Kill-A-Watt says that power drops from 20 watts to a reading of zero. If I leave the NOAA weather radar Java scripted looping app running, I come back to find the machine turned off. After booting up, I am told that the machine has blue screened during sleep. Also, if I watch a Netflix movie and use the HDMI output, put the computer to sleep, then later power off the TV, I also get a blue screen during sleep. I assume that the time I will waste trying to find a patch or work around to make windows work correctly will far exceed the time I spend waiting for the computer to reboot. I simply assume that Windows is a piece of shoddy code that never will function properly. I assume that I must kill the Java app or turn off the TV before invoking sleep on my new Win 7 computer to avoid being blue screened. I can not remember any version of Windows which functioned as advertised. Being blue screened is just part of using this poorly designed code. Why it even blue screened Bill Gates when he was on stage showing the world his latest and greatest. It provoked lengthy rueful laughter from the audience, surely all of whom were already well acquainted with the Blue Screen of Death. Thanks Bill!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have set up my network of PCs to use Wake on LAN to boot at night for system patching.
    Two things I have found out:

S3 mode - standard keyboards don't have a sleep button. You end up crashing the PC to restart it
    from sleep mode. - There is a button you can add as a sleep switch, but generally not all machines
    work with S3 mode even now. - You can reprogram your power button as a sleep button, but this is
    really most viable for home users.

Remote power down is complicated by running programs, and users who don't log out.
    I use psshutdown to power down the systems on my network after a patch run. It offers more features
    than windows shutdown, including allowing the user to cancel and the force shutdown of open applications:

psshutdown -k -c -f -m "Shutdown by Administrator, click to cancel..." -t 600 -e p:00:00

On most networks you don't want the computer to wake up with each
    network broadcast. So set your adaptor for magic packet. Then set your firewall up to allow the
    magic packet through. Some people have claimed success with this approach.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan,

I bought a Kill A Watt EZ (P4460) several months ago after a rather large bill (I thought). The EZ is more expensive, $35 vs $20, but gives you the true costs when you plug in your elec rate (from your bill) - worth the money for me.

My results are a little different from yours. I'm sure my old thumper is no way near as good as yours (but, it got me here!) and my elec rate may be lower (11 cents/KWH, Ga Po Co).

My display and CPU are on separate circuits, the display is controlled by a wall switch so I can kill it easily when I leave the room. I leave the CPU running unless leaving town. The other household appliance costs are very interesting, too. A mini AC clamp-on meter (Triplett 9200) can be used to figure costs from wired-in units like your air conditioner or heat pump.

Cost Display* CPU* Total

YR $48.18 $109.00 $157.18
    MO $3.96 $9.02 $12.98
    WK $0.92 $2.10 $3.02
    DAY $0.13 $0.30 $0.43
    HR <.01 $0.01

Display: CPU:
    20" LCD Asus A8N5X
    speakers 550 Watt PS
    cheapo laser printer 2 HDD
    Win XP
    4 little fans

Looking forward to trying your suggestions, THANKS for the info and research!!

Lowndes Whatley

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I find that if you allow Windows (Including Win 7) to shutdown the USB ports, when the computer wakes up, it often will not wake up the USB ports. So, I've had the situation where, after wake up, my keyboard and mouse are still asleep. Curious if others experienced the same thing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great article.

I did run into a problem on my HP (Windows 7 Pro). I ran Powercfg /energy from the Command Prompt. No problem at that point. When I tried to open the report in my browser, no joy. I checked my typing several times and made no error in entering it in the brower. It just did not want to open for some reason.

I solved this problem by a going to start/Computer/C (drive)/Windows/System32/ and then scrolling down to where I finally found the fiesty file. Once pinned down it cooperated by promply displaying the page in my browser when I clicked on it.

Thought I would mention this since I lost about 5 - 10 minutes trying to locate and display the report and figure someone else may run into the problem I had.
    Hell hath no fury like a Hippopotamus with a machine gun!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Rondeau View Post
    Great article.

I did run into a problem on my HP (Windows 7 Pro). I ran Powercfg /energy from the Command Prompt. No problem at that point. When I tried to open the report in my browser, no joy. I checked my typing several times and made no error in entering it in the brower. It just did not want to open for some reason.

I solved this problem by a going to start/Computer/C (drive)/Windows/System32/ and then scrolling down to where I finally found the fiesty file. Once pinned down it cooperated by promply displaying the page in my browser when I clicked on it.
    I tried this method as well but so far without success. Firefox tells me it can't find the file and when I try to open it with IE, IE opens to my home page. I really wanted to resolve this since the analysis shows 9 errors, 8 warnings and 14 informational results. Well, once again, Google is your friend. This post http://www.sevenforums.com/performan...gy-report.html said to copy the report out of the system32 folder before opening it. I tried that and ... problem solved.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have determined the main reason that my hp Pavillion dv4 laptop mysteriously wakes up is USB activity. In fact for a laptop, this is quite a serious problem! I run a Logitec Nano wireless mouse most of the time, only using the touchpad in cramped places. The mouse receiver being extremely compact is left plugged in to it's own dedicated USB port full time. If after closing the top and watching the computer go into sleep mode I pack it away and then I pick up the mouse or disturb it, it immediately turns on the computer and it does not go back into sleep mode again after that! By the time I arrive at the destination, my laptop battery is either severely depleted or run down to the point the computer is forced to hibernate, a mode I don't like or use! If I don't get it on AC power, I cannot use it! I have had to make it a habit to turn off the mouse and disconnecting other USB devices, including hubs, before closing the lid. Ideally I would like it such that the only time the computer wakes up is when I open the lid! I have not found anything to disable the USB in sleep mode in Windows 7 Home Premium! This is quite the contrast from my last laptop which ran XP Professional. On that machine I could specifically cutoff devices from waking the computer including the wireless lan card and USB hub. Is there any way to turn that off in Windows 7? I find this to be a real serious problem because the new computer if not disturbed can run in sleep mode for a very long time and when you reactivate it, it's ready to go with plenty of battery power and right where you left off before you packed it away! This appears to be a glaring fault with Windows 7 and makes the ordinarily awesome portable experience with this OS a source of annoyance!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBig OldDog View Post
    I find that if you allow Windows (Including Win 7) to shutdown the USB ports, when the computer wakes up, it often will not wake up the USB ports. So, I've had the situation where, after wake up, my keyboard and mouse are still asleep. Curious if others experienced the same thing.
    Yes, I have a USB keyboard and two wireless mice with USB receivers, one is Bluetooth. I sleep (Hybrid sleep) the desktop PC once or twice a day, and power off at night. Occasionally, perhaps once every 2 - 4 weeks, a mouse fails to wake. Even rarer is that none of the three work after a full power up. I once found that waiting a few minutes cured this, but not every time. So you aren't alone.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The article mentions that the keyboard Power Options can be configured to Allow this device to wake the computer. This is only half the battle. The hard part is configuring the USB port into which the keyboard is plugged not to power down, otherwise there is no detection that you have pressed a key and therefore the PC can't be woken that way. There are lots of USB devices in Device Manager and I know no way to work out which controls the keyboard. I could just tell them all not to power down, but that seems a shame when we're trying to be as green as we can be.
    So I have to wake the PC with its power button - a trivial annoyance but an annoyance none-the-less.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft Research has just released an Alpha version of a great little app that calculates your machine's power use on thye fly and keeps a running total of the power used. The app is call joulmeter and I've been using it for the last few days w/o a problem. Here are the details:

Joulemeter is software to estimate the power consumption of your computer. It tracks computer resources, such as CPU utilization and screen brightness, and estimates power usage. Project details are available at http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...r/default.aspx.

Download here:
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...-daf55565f794/

Thanks
    Good Article,
    very informative, especially the command prompt test. It should prove to be very usefull in tracking down
    problems.

C
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    I have determined the main reason that my hp Pavillion dv4 laptop mysteriously wakes up is USB activity. In fact for a laptop, this is quite a serious problem! I run a Logitec Nano wireless mouse most of the time, only using the touchpad in cramped places. The mouse receiver being extremely compact is left plugged in to it's own dedicated USB port full time. If after closing the top and watching the computer go into sleep mode I pack it away and then I pick up the mouse or disturb it, it immediately turns on the computer and it does not go back into sleep mode again after that! By the time I arrive at the destination, my laptop battery is either severely depleted or run down to the point the computer is forced to hibernate, a mode I don't like or use! If I don't get it on AC power, I cannot use it! I have had to make it a habit to turn off the mouse and disconnecting other USB devices, including hubs, before closing the lid. Ideally I would like it such that the only time the computer wakes up is when I open the lid! I have not found anything to disable the USB in sleep mode in Windows 7 Home Premium! This is quite the contrast from my last laptop which ran XP Professional. On that machine I could specifically cutoff devices from waking the computer including the wireless lan card and USB hub. Is there any way to turn that off in Windows 7? I find this to be a real serious problem because the new computer if not disturbed can run in sleep mode for a very long time and when you reactivate it, it's ready to go with plenty of battery power and right where you left off before you packed it away! This appears to be a glaring fault with Windows 7 and makes the ordinarily awesome portable experience with this OS a source of annoyance!

I use the same Nano mouse. It has its own on/off switch on its base (as well as the isolation switch when the nano adapter is stowed inside the mouse). You just have to remember to switch off the mouse BEFORE sending your laptop to sleep!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Morse III View Post
    Ideally I would like it such that the only time the computer wakes up is when I open the lid! I have not found anything to disable the USB in sleep mode in Windows 7 Home Premium! This is quite the contrast from my last laptop which ran XP Professional.
    Have you checked your BIOS to see if there is a setting to disable USB wake up? Also, there is an option to turn on or off Allow this device to wake the computer on the Power Management tab in Control Panel | System | Device Manager | Universal Serial Bus Controllers | Generic USB Hub and USB Root Hub.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill