Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using the Word Count feature for years. Suddenly, it stopped counting words in footnotes. I have an existing document for which it counts footnote words. But if I move the contents of that document to another document, it doesn't count footnote words. If I highlight the notes, it counts the words in the notes, however. But it won't do text and notes in the same count.

I have the Word Count toolbar visible and always have. But I can't see any switch that says to count or not count the notes. What am I missing???

Thanks.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does it make a difference if you convert to endnotes and then back to footnotes?

In the document that does count the footnotes, does that still work if you paste footnotes in from another document? It sounds like there may be a setting to treat the documents differently but I can't recall having seen a setting like this (and don't have Word 2003 anymore).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Does it make a difference if you convert to endnotes and then back to footnotes?

In the document that does count the footnotes, does that still work if you paste footnotes in from another document? It sounds like there may be a setting to treat the documents differently but I can't recall having seen a setting like this (and don't have Word 2003 anymore).
    I converted to end notes, but it still did not count the end notes.

I did paste from the document that counted footnote words to another document, and it did NOT count the notes in the second document.

Thanks.

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgellman View Post
    I did paste from the document that counted footnote words to another document, and it did NOT count the notes in the second document.
    I was wondering if this worked in the opposite direction - that would tell you whether it really was a document-based setting.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    I was wondering if this worked in the opposite direction - that would tell you whether it really was a document-based setting.
    Good question. I took the text from the no-count-footnote document and pasted it in place of the count-footnote document. It then counted the footnote words. So it seems to be a document based setting. But I don't know how to change the setting. I suppose I could do the paste over trick for my final document. that's something but it isn't a general fix. Still open to ideas and still grateful for your interest.

Bob

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The "Tools | Word Count" command has a setting to include or exclude footnotes and endnotes. Does use of this make a difference?

[attachment=88844:WordCountDialog.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think William has found the culprit. In Word 2010 Beta (and hence probably in Word 2007) this setting appears to reside locally in the document and can be found by clicking the Word Count button in the Proofing section of the Review Ribbon. In that version of Word the same tickbox includes 'textboxes, footnotes and endnotes'.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Bingo. I have a word count tool bar, and I didn't realize that there was a word count item on the Tools menu from the standard tool bar. Never saw it before. And I don't understand how the count footnote switch got changed since I am pretty sure that it always counted my footnotes. The confusion kept me from understanding the directions from Word's Help. Too many things called Word Count menu. I reread the Help stuff, and it is right but it isn't clear. At least not to me.

Anyway, problem solved. thank you all very much.

Bob