New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it mean the harddrive is in the throws of dying when you boot your computer and it can't recognize the harddrive? This has happened to my sisters computer 3 times in the past month. Each time when she puts in her restore disk that came with the computer, she can get it up and running again. Is this a harddrive problem? She uses an antivirus program and consistantly runs Malwarebytes and Ccleaner. Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi Debbie, and welcome to the Lounge!

It could be the hard drive on its way out, but it could be something else altogether. What do you mean by "can't recognize the harddrive"? What error message is displayed when startup fails? Please make note of it and post back with it when you can.

Also, what does she do when she inserts the restore disk that came with the computer? Does she restore the operating system to the factory state it was in when first purchased, or did she run a repair routine? If she ran a repair procedure, what was it?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I think this may also be one of those power supply issues. I would try to download an app to monitor voltages and temps. to have a look at these. Check out Clint's thread on excelent such apps. If the power supply seems ok, this could be a different hardware failure, including the HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No matter what the cause, she should make sure to backup everything on that drive just as soon as possible.

I just had a data drive fail on my wife's system. http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=775510
    In her case, it was an undersized power supply that damaged the drive's electronics and messed up the data so badly that so far OnTrack has been unable to recover anything.

It wasn't until I ran Everest Pro' torture tests (including the drive tests) that I could see a huge sag in the 12V to 7.44 after only a couple of minutes. I wasted no time replacing the PSU with one with much more capacity. The voltages are all rock solid now. Fortunately, it appears that only the one drive was damaged.
    Don
    Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5-490K 3.5GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 8GBRAM, 350GB SSD