3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lately my laptop makes a reving noise when I turn it on. It sounds like a jet's engine and it won't go all the way to Windows sometimes. Sometimes it will though, but still makes the noise. So I shut if off and at the DOS option on how to start it up again I choose "Normal Startup" and then all goes well. I opened it up and cleaned it out. There was quite a bit of dust in the fan, but it still does this. What else can I check?
    lynndelap

Thanks
    Has it been damaged somehow recently?

Check and monitor temperatures when you do get on it. see this thread for a thermal monitoring tool.
    You might also be able to check for a temperature from within the BIOS options, but do so after it's been running for some time.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Is your laptop plugged in or running on battery when you hear this noise and does not boot into Windows?

Your fan may be on the verge of seizing up.

What brand and model is your laptop? Have you received any notifications from the manufacturer that has led to a BIOS update?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I'm also thinking that over time the excess dust has caused something to overheat and possibly damaged one or mor components in the laptop. The reving noise sure sounds like a fan over revving or siezing. A trip to a competent tech to trouble shoot this problem may be in order before further damage is done. Some electronic devices have narrow temp tolerance ranges, as evidenced by the temp ranges seen when using the aforementioned temp monitoring apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The laptop is plugged in. It always seemed too warm to me and I questioned it, but the retailer I got it from said that it was normal. It is only 3 years old. I am going to take it to the place I purchased it from and have "a little chat."
    lynndelap