3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Windows 7 Home Premium shortly after it was released (over Vista) and have had no trouble until now. However, on booting I now generally get the messages "Preparing your desktop" and (ages later) "You have been logged on with a temporary profile". There are various solutions offered on the internet (and a several old ones on the Lounge). These do not always seem to be successful. Can anyone point me to a definite cure.

Thanks
    Window 7 uses the Default Profile to create a temporary profile when it cannot access your user profile. It is very likely your user profile has become corrupted. Create a new user profile and delete your former one if it still available in User Accounts of the Control Panel.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem as the original poster, but it does not occur except occasionally, meaning once every week or two.

If the user Profile was corrupt, would it not affect it every time it was booted?

If you create a new user, all the entries (program settings, desktop, etc) for my current and only profile will be lost or is there a way to get them copied over.

Thanks,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's an idea, one I have not used to solve problems so no guarantees...use Windows Easy Transfer to make a backup of your old profile. You get to choose exactly what gets transferred, the choices should be obvious when you get there. Then log in with the new profile and pull in the old (transferred) profile.