New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never been able to use sleep/hibernate with my PC. Upon waking I will have no video, only a complete reboot brings it back. So I'm forced to use only the most limited "shut down monitor/hdd after xx minutes" mode. I had thought it was an XP thing, but Win7-64 or Win7-32 had the same issues (all fresh installs - no upgrades). I've tried updating the BIOS for the MB to the latest available, changing the video card, new video drivers and playing around with the S1/S2 settings in the BIOS - all to no avail. The only common item is the motherboard itself.

Any ideas here? Or am I doomed to a sleepless life.

Dave

Thanks
    Hi Dave, and welcome to the Lounge!

I sure you have already addressed this, but I will ask anyway. If you have onboard video, did you disable it when you installed a video card?

Check the Event Viewer Application and System Logs to see if any critical errors are logged when you come out of sleep/hibernate.

Have you checked to see if your motherboard can actually support Windows 7?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you mean the monitor stays in a power saving mode?

Have you tried a different monitor?

Joe

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

There is no on-board video. The PC originally came with Vista and I downgraded to XP-sp3. I did not specifically check for Win7 compatibility. I'll check the event logs.

The monitor does not wake (no green light, it stays amber). Turning the monitor on/off has no effect. Yes, I have tried a different monitor (same brand).

Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    From everything you've tried with new hardware, updated drivers, updated BIOS, & BIOS settings I'd guess it is a motherboard issue. With Windows 7 did you install all Microsoft patches? Have you checked the motherboard vendor's support site?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's an MSI MB (low end) with an Intel E8400 processor and 4GB. Guess it's time for an upgrade! An Core i5 might be nice...

Dave

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    It's an MSI MB (low end) with an Intel E8400 processor and 4GB. Guess it's time for an upgrade! An Core i5 might be nice...
    While an upgrade would be nice be prepared that it still may not work as you wish. Even though Windows 7 is an improvement in power management sleep & hibernate are among the thorniest problems with all versions of Windows.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The PC originally came with Vista and I downgraded to XP-sp3
    May be the problem, as you may not have the XP drivers to support your Vista ready hardware and sleep.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    May be the problem, as you may not have the XP drivers to support your Vista ready hardware and sleep.
    I'm running Win7-32 now.

Thanks
    It sounds like you have already isolated the problem to the motherboard. I might suggest one more thing before replacing the MB. Try a new CMOS battery. I have had these cause problems because the Bios settings tend to jump around when powered down without a proper voltage from the battery. Just a thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Something else to try is to change the Power Management properties of the video card in Win XP. Select "Allow windows to turn this off..." in the video card's properties on the Power Management tab. Then Windows will wake the video after Sleep. It worked for me when I had XP. Windows 7 doesn't need that setting or doesn't even have that setting available. That might be a problem with the downgrade to XP.

Lounger
    Thanks
    "Doc, it hurts really bad when I shove my toothbrush up my nose." "Well, don't shove your toothbrush up your nose" I have never seen a pc where sleep or hibernation worked correctly. Use power management to turn off the display and hard drive at an appropriate time and don't use sleep!