New Lounger
    I get this message when I try to start iTunes....

"icuin36.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error"

iTunes was working just fine previously... ie a few days ago... don't know what I did to cause the error... I've downloaded a new version and put it into windows/system ... and still get the same message... It appears to be a fairly common message for some dll's not just icuin36.dll according to the web searches I've done.... but I have not yet found a way to fix it.... I've run registry mechanic and PC matic... and also the microsoft system file checking program to no avail. I've uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it... downloaded a new version and did it again... to no avail... I've surfed for solutions but have not found any....

running W7 home premium and it's up to date with fixes

Any suggestions?

North Carolina, USA
    Hi Orren and welcome to the Lounge!

One of the possible fixes to a situation like this is to re-register the .dll file. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. At the command prompt, type the following command, and press ENTER: regsvr32 /u icuin36.dll . Be sure to include the space after the 2 and after the /u. Press enter. This command unregisters icuin36.dll.

Type in exit and press enter. Then reboot your computer. When it gets back into Windows click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator just as you did before. This time type into the command prompt the following:

regsvr32 icuin36.dll

Press enter, then type in exit and press enter. This registers the .dll file again. Reboot your PC, and when Windows starts try starting iTunes. If this does not work, let us know. We can try another procedure.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill