New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm in the process of transitioning from XP-Home to Win7 Home Premium. I have been unable to manually rearrange the order of my picture files (drag and drop) as I do on a daily basis using my XP machine.
    The litte bit of info. that I've been able to find would indicate that it's not possible with Win7. Can anyone verify that, or am I missing something (a setting or some such)?
    Thanks in advance for any information you may have to offer,
    Terry

Thanks
    Hi Terry and welcome to the Lounge!

In what kind of order do you want to arrange your picture files? Windows 7 can sort them by several different criteria after they are copied into a folder. Once you choose the type of sort you want, it will sort them and leave them sorted that way until you change the sort order.

Check out this link for one solution. It works in Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Works just like the article says. however here is my own take:
    When I have a folder that contains pictures or documents that have the same name, I always put a 2 digit number in front. For example a bank statement folder for January would appear as 01 January 2010, and the statements therein would appear as 01122010 to 02222010. Sorts beautifully. Pictures would appear for example Capture 01.jpg etc. I use the same method to sort music in WMP as well.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies (and welcome), I'm happy to be a member of the Lounge.
    I'm afraid that I may not have communicated my problem clearly as I should have.
    Gerald, the link that you provided describes perfectly the way that I have been manipulating my picture files for years...on my XP machine. Even though the article says that it works on Win7, it doesn't work on MY Win7.
    On the Win7 machine, I have no drag and drop functionality WITHIN the folder or, in other words, I can't "shuffle" (step two in the linked article). When I select an image or group of images, hold down my left mouse button, and move the images to a different location within the folder, the selected images return to their original location as soon as I release the mouse button. With the XP machine, the images would appear at the location I chose the drop them. This feature is particularly handy when I'm interested in looking at side by side comparisons of images that may be many images apart (50,100 etc.) in the original file order. Normally, I "shuffle" my images around until I'm satisfied with the order and then rename the group so that they remain in the same order after closing the folder.
    I hope this note adds some clarity to my original post.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Terry

Thanks
    I tired to do as you stated Terry and was unable to as well. This will take a little more investigation.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it has to be done with third party apps in Win7 now. Almost any competent image viewer can easily accomplish this task. I use FastStone; quickly select the images to be renamed, go to Tools>Rename Selected Images (F4), type in a name and starting number and click start. Its relatively painless and one only has to adjust from dragging and dropping to Ctrl>ClickSelect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a link to "Microsoft Answers" and indicates that the drag and drop featue within a picture file has been eliminated in Win7.... intentionally. Apparently, I'm not the only one frustrated by this change. At least now I can stop searching for some setting that I've missed or some such. I'm tempted to ask why in the world would Microsoft...., but I've had enough head banging for now.
    Perhaps sometime in the future Microsoft will reconsider and reinstate the drag and drop function or perhaps a third party app. will be made available that will work with Microsofts picture files.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Terry

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...6-0a766c17ed4d

(sorry, I don't know how to make this link "live")