Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps someone knows thew answer to this problem that seems to have been around for a few years. I just installed WHS on a small ATOM powered machine and applied all of the security updates including PP3. Things seem to be working OK as far as backing up my Win7 machine. However, when I try to open a backup to look at the files inside I get an error message at 81% that it cannot mount the volume. I searched this on Google and other places and it seems that this has been a problem for several years but I could find no solution to get around it including on Microsoft's site, where the 81% (and also a similar 79% problem) problem is not even mentioned. Again, this is a fresh install of WHS with all updates on a brand new computer with brand new disks.

Backing up without the ability to restore is kind of pointless and it is hard to believe that Microsoft sells a product with this "feature". Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for any ideas on how to solve this.

Mike

New Lounger
    Thanks
    An update--- On the exact same machine, it dual boots XP and Win7, under XP everything works fine. So it seems to be some WHS and Win7 problem and nothing to do with the computer, network, etc.

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated from anyone who solved this on their Win7 machine.

Thanks.

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Form View Post
    An update--- On the exact same machine, it dual boots XP and Win7, under XP everything works fine. So it seems to be some WHS and Win7 problem and nothing to do with the computer, network, etc.

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated from anyone who solved this on their Win7 machine.
    I'll have to check on my Win7 machine at home later today.

Did you make sure PP1 & PP2 were installed also? I'm pretty sure that is a pre-requisite for PP3.

See Download details: Windows Home Server Release Documentation for more information on the various power packs.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response. PP1 came with the DVD and the install. Then, via Windows Update, about 100 patches were downloaded and installed. Running Windows Update again gave me PP3. So, I have everything installed that Microsoft thinks should be installed. I do not remember if PP2 was installed before PP3. It seems to be Win7 related since, as I posted, the exact same machine running XP has no problem seeing the files. Let me know if your Win7 machine works OK.

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    Mine works fine on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 machine. PP2 specifically mentions a fix for the stopping at 81%. You should verify that PP2 is installed. If not, you need to uninstall PP3, install PP2, reinstall PP3.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:

I checked the installed updates and both PP2 and PP3 are installed. If it works on my XP booted computer but not on the same machine booted into Win7, there must be some setup of Win7 that is causing the problem. Admittedly, my Win7 is a 32 bit installation, but I doubt that that that is the problem.

Thanks for your response. Any other ideas from anyone else are welcome.

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    You might have better luck in the Forums at MediaSmartServer.net The Windows Home Server Enthusiast Community. Also, see the blog roll on th bottom right for other WHS site that may be of use.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the "referral" but I have already looked there and several other WHS blogs/forums and while I have seen many cases of the same sort of problem, there are no actual solutions. There are usual boilerplate answers like run "chkdsk", "repair backups" and the like but as I mentioned, in my case, the same machine running XP can open the backups while running Win7 it cannot. So it is not likely that there is any problem with the backups at all, it is the way WHS opens them on the client machine---it cannot mount the virtual drive that it tries to create to view the files, that is the problem. I was just evaluating the product as a possible solution to backing up my computers so nothing was lost except my time and money installing WHS. I pity the poor people who were actually using and relying on the product to back up their data and found that it was not possible to restore it when that fateful day arrived that necessitated them to do so.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That is too bad. I've had WHS for almost two years and have not had a problem with viewing backups or restoring files.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the connector?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Same problem, stops at 81% ---Cannot Mount Backup.

The 81% has no meaning other than that is when I think Win7 tries to mount the virtual drive. There must be some incompatibility between the mounting service and some update or feature of Win7. As I said, the same machine booted into XP works fine. There have been several postings from people who say that things were working fine and then this same problem arose. The only thing that I can think of is some update/patch to the OS changed something for them. Is your machine up to date with all patches, etc.?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes. Both the WHS and the Win7 machines are completely up-to-date with patches. I wonder if the problem is related to the size of the backup. Can you temporarily substantially increase the size of the Win7 backup? BTW, what version of Win7 are you running?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running the 32 bit version of Win7 Pro. So, that is one difference between our two machines as you said that you are running the 64 bit version. I am not sure if Ultimate vs. Pro has any bearing. What do you mean "substantially increase the size of the Win7 backup"? What do you feel that this will do?

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. By "substantially increase the size" I meant download a file or several files to total several hundred MB. Sometimes there are timing issues or decompression issues that can appear and disappear as the amount of data changes. This is pure speculation since there was work in PP2 & PP3 on this issue.

It may be worthwhile to go to Microsoft Products Accepting Bugs and Suggestions | Microsoft Connect and join the WHS group. One suggestion I saw there for this issue was to run a "chkdsk /f /r" on the failing PC.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:

The initial full backup was several tens of GB, the whole C drive as well as another E partition containing data. Believe me, there was enough data.

The disk on the WHS machine is good enough so that the same machine booted into XP can deal with it. So it is not a problem that can likely be solved by running chkdsk. The problem is that Win7 cannot mount the virtual drive that the Connector is trying to set up, or some aspect of that function.

As far as Microsoft accepting bugs, when you go to the web page, as far as I can tell, they are only collecting problems with the new Vail product. They seem to think that there are no problems with the current WHS. That is why I am disgusted with the whole thing.

Mike

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm sure there was enough data. But the amount or type of data that was there could be the issue. I'm suggesting that changing the amount and type of data may change the timing or some other factor enough that the problem will disappear.

The reason you want to run a "chkdsk /f /r" is that a newer OS (i.e. Win7) has a slightly different version of NTFS that XP. It may be more sensitive to issues that XP could not detect. The process of mounting the virtual drive may be "touching" an area of the disk that is not normally accessed. Windows 7 does things differently than XP. While chkdsk may not (& probably will not) solve the problem it can't hurt to run it and see.

At the WINDOWS HOME SERVER | Microsoft Connect site click on the "Feedback" link on the left panel.

Joe

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast