New Lounger
    Thanks
    After February's updates failed to install, I contacted Microsoft. They had me go through the usual steps: make sure the services were running, rename the Software Distribution folder and turn off all background programs during retries. When that did not resolve the issue, I was advised to do a clean install, which I did.

In April, the same thing happened and now the most recent updates have also failed to install.

Before I trash everything and re-install again, I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem and if they were able to resolve it.

I am running Windows 7 Pro, Avast AV and OnLine Armor 4.0 (pay version).

Thanks

Thanks
    Jon,

Welcome to the lounge.

Something on you system does not play well together. In the past I have seen security apps act like this. Have you tried for a while to disable the firewall for example and just run the Win 7 firewall for a while and see what happens. The Win 7 firewall is much higher rated than in the past. The latest issue of Windows Secrets newsletter, Ian Richards discusses security issues and the Win 7 firewall. Do you image your PC to allow rapid restores when this happens? This would be quicker than a reinstall. If not, once you get your system back where you want it, image the entire system. A google search for imaging products will give a wealth of 3rd party apps for this purpose, or use the built in Win 7 app in Control Panel/Backup and Restore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your comments, Ted.

When I try to run the updates, the firewall is unloaded and the anti-virus is disabled and the services stopped. I can find no evidence of negative interactions between Avast and OnLine Armor anywhere, so I am less inclined to think that they are the cause of the problem. Ian Richards does indeed favorably mention the Windows Firewall, but goes on to point out that its outgoing monitoring is lacking. The outgoing monitoring of activity is why I chose OnLine Armor. (I also have a hardware firewall on the DSL line.)

Up until now, I have never had any real need for imaging - but, once I reinstall (assuming that is where this lands), I will have to do so to save the 8 - 10 hours of rebuilding. I do find it surprising that the first round of updates after everything is installed goes fine. It is only the subsequent ones that have the problem...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chorney View Post
    When I try to run the updates, the firewall is unloaded and the anti-virus is disabled and the services stopped. I can find no evidence of negative interactions between Avast and OnLine Armor anywhere, so I am less inclined to think that they are the cause of the problem. Ian Richards does indeed favorably mention the Windows Firewall, but goes on to point out that its outgoing monitoring is lacking. The outgoing monitoring of activity is why I chose OnLine Armor. (I also have a hardware firewall on the DSL line.)
    Do you perform the first round of updates before installing Avast and Online Armor?

Do you get a specific error code when the updates fail?

The Windows firewall does have outbound monitoring if you choose to enable it. See Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Getting Started Guide for a detailed discussion and see Step-by-Step Guide: Deploying Windows Firewall and IPsec Policies for detailed implementation steps.

Joe
    Joe