Thread: XP slave drive

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to save myself a ton of work. A friend has her original eMachine with Win 98 FAT 32. This is a working computer in use everyday. I am planning on adding her drive to an XP machine for her and making her drive a slave. The XP machine has NTFS format.

I want to do this since it would take 3 LIFETIMES to find all her data and transfer it to the NTFS drive. SHE knows where stuff is on the drive.

MY QUESTIONS ARE >>>>>>>>>>

1) I assume this will work and she can access the files on her old drive.

2) Is there any problem using XP NTFS to access files on a former FAT 32 drive ?

3) She had MS OFFICE on the Win 98 drive for her work. Will she be able to still use MS OFFICE now that it is a SLAVE drive ?

I am told this will work. She can access and work with the files ............just a matter that Win 98 will not boot since it is on a SLAVE drive and the puter is NOT a DUAL BOOT SETUP.

Thanks for any advise.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    1.) Yes, it will work for data access.

2.) No there is no problem. You should consider backing up her old drive and the converting it to NTFS. NTFS is much more stable the FAT32.

3.) If Office is not installed on the XP machine you must install Office on the XP machine. She can not just use the Office installed on her old drive because the XP machine has no knowledge of it.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    1 may take some finagling. The old Win 98 machine almost certainly has an IDE interfaced hard drive. The newer machine may be SATA which means it will not be possible to slave the IDE drive to that controller without adding a SATA to IDE converter.

Alternatively it could be attached externally using a USB to IDE adapter. This would be easier but leads to more clutter, but might be acceptable as a transitional approach.

Either of those options are fairly inexpensive - in the $20-$40 range.

If there is lots of space on the hdd in the new machine it might be easier to create a new partition and just copy everything from the old win98 drive in there. This would be preferable from a reliability and ease of use point of view because that old drive won't last forever.

Jock

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Mullin View Post
    This would be preferable from a reliability and ease of use point of view because that old drive won't last forever.
    Hmm, I have an 8Gb HHD that's been running Win98FE since Oct 98 with out any hint of drive failure. Suppose everyone has different experiences.

stuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Hmm, I have an 8Gb HHD that's been running Win98FE since Oct 98 with out any hint of drive failure. Suppose everyone has different experiences.

stuck
    Which still isn't forever I had some of the older 10gb and less drives run 10+ years. It seems like from SATA forward I have generally not seen that kind of reliability.

I would recommend Jock's suggestion. This kit will allow you to plug almost any drive into a usb port and copy it's contents. An old boot drive slaved into another computer will look no different then the contents of the same drive copied into a folder or partition on the new computer's hard drive.

One advantage of this approach is that the old drive remains intact and if you find something missing it is just a matter of plugging it in again and getting it.