Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I like that Vista and Win 7 have a built-in backup utility, but the one in Win 7 behaves considerably differently than Vista. I configured Win 7 to do a manual backup to a portable hard drive (as I did in Vista). I perform a manual backup every day in Win 7 just as I did in Vista.

1. Win 7 creates a full backup every few days. Vista's backup created one every couple of months. The Win 7 behavior is poblematic since I like to to make a DVD copy of all backups and I like to upload another copy to 4shared.com. With a full backup being created by Win 7 every few days I am wasting a lot of DVDs and portable hard drive space and chewing up a lot of bandwidth uploading to 4shared.

2. Win 7 creates an odd folder with weird behavior. Unlike all other folders I have to right click then select open to open the folder. I cannot simply click on the folder to see the contents as I can with all other folders. Once I click open I get a pop-up message from Win 7 saying something like I do not have permission to open but to get permanent permission click OK.

3. There's a bothersome additional file, MediaID.bin, that Win 7's backup creates that is outside the backup folder.

The above is not progress. It is clumsy. Does anyone have a solution to any of the above?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi Sam, you can schedule Windows Backup to run monthly, weekly, or daily if you want. Try changing it to Monthly.

I do not understand the reason for opening a backup folder to view the contents. Windows Backup will do an image backup of your system and user files. You would not likely be able to read the contents of the backup folders if and when you could open them.

Check this tutorial here on Windows 7 Backup and Restore. This tutorial is recommended by Microsoft's TechNet site.

If you follow this tutorial you will gain a better understanding of Windows 7 Backup. You will notice at the end of the article that Windows 7 Backup is not as powerful or as flexible as some of the third party backup software available. Acronis True Image is about to release their 2011 edition. If you are interested in a highly regarded free backup program, then check out Macrium Reflect Free Edition here . It is good for both the 32 and 64 bit editions of Windows 7.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Amen to the above and suggest Macrium Reflect as an alternative. With Reflect you can automatically schedule the deletion of dated backups - a nice feature if backing up to smaller external drives.

Thanks
    Paul Thurrott has a decent article on Backup & restore titled, Windows 7 Feature Focus Backup and Restore, that is worth a read.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links.

As for "the reason for opening a backup folder to view the contents" ... Since the backup files are plain old zip files I want to copy them to DVD and upload them to 4shared.com in case my portable hard drive goes bad, is stolen, or is destroyed in some natural disaster. I am also VERY curious why Microsoft chose to make the backup folder behave so weirdly and why they decided to require that odd MediaID.bin file. It seems to me that creating a separate file outside the backup folder is begging for trouble since it could easily be deleted or mangled in some manner. Why is it not inside the backup folder?

Due to Global Warming I do not want to set backup to run automatically. I ALWAYS power-down my computer when not in use.

I read Thurrott's article but found no answers to my questions.

Maybe setting an auto-backup time to sometime during the middle of the night when my computer is always powered-down would prevent frequent full backups, but it would really be nice to know if this is, indeed, the triggering mechanism.

I am reminded of my mantra: New is not necessarily better! I felt I could manage backups a lot better with Vista backup. The one really nice thing, however, with Win 7 backup is the image backup.

I hope someone can answer my specific questions in my original post. Thus far it's kinda like a blind person trying to fly a 747--a little nudge here a kick there ...