New Lounger
    Thanks
    I leave my laptop (three year old HP) on 24/7, never on battery, always plugged in. If I type in powercfg -a at the command prompt, it returns a value of S3. On more than a few occasions lately, when I return to it, I get no response to mouse clicks or keyboard. The mouse cursor will move, but that's the only thing that will work - no clicks work, no keyboard presses work. I am left with powering down and re-booting, which restores all to normal.

Should I try other sleep settings? It's not asleep when this happens. The screen is visible, not off.

Thanks
    Windows does a lot of maintenance during reboots. it's always a good idea to reboot regularly. Also, being an environmentally conscious person, I can not abide by the wasted energy consumption of leaving a PC on 24/7. This uses valuable resources, and will actually decrease the useful life of electronic devices. Having been in testing and troubleshooting of electronics for many years in the Aerospace industry, the mean time between failures is a very important concept and the longer a system is powered on the shorter is the mean time between failure and the shorter the life span of those electronic devices. Perhaps, even though your laptop is 3+ years old, having left it on for 24/7 during those 3 years you may have just shortened the life of your PC..
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey Carroll View Post
    I leave my laptop (three year old HP) on 24/7, never on battery, always plugged in. If I type in powercfg -a at the command prompt, it returns a value of S3. On more than a few occasions lately, when I return to it, I get no response to mouse clicks or keyboard. The mouse cursor will move, but that's the only thing that will work - no clicks work, no keyboard presses work. I am left with powering down and re-booting, which restores all to normal.

Should I try other sleep settings? It's not asleep when this happens. The screen is visible, not off.
    Is the keyboard wireless?

Have you checked the power settings for the keyboard?

Is the mouse wireless?

Have you checked the power settings for the mouse?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I have a 7-year-old Dell D800 with Windows 7 installed. I find sleep mode on battery most convenient for my purposes. It wakes much quicker than it boots, and everything is like I left it. I plug the charger in while I'm using it, then when I'm finished I just close the lid and unplug the charger. I've experienced no problems with keyboard or touchpad, or the wireless mouse I often use.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows