New Lounger
    Thanks
    The bootup process for virtual XP is slow and inconsistent. It takes anywhere from three to five minutes before a working XP desktop appears. The process goes through a number of blue and black screens and the longest screen shows the window entitled "Loading your personal settings". I have about 12 programs loaded in the XP mode. The startup file has 2 programs, MS Office and Windows search. Also when I try to launch a program from the Windows 7 Virtual applications launch it goes through the following sequences:
    Preparing to launch applications, Starting virtual application, Loading your personal settings and then the message, "Virtual environment for launching applications has been closed".
    I have an Intel I7 processor, 12 GB ram and the virtual C drive has 7 GB used and 130 GB spare.
    All help appreciated.
    Thanks, Sam

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no idea what is wrong but you might try getting the VMPlayer and installing that. There is an import XP Mode command in the menu and once imported there is also a function called Unity that works similarly to the host virtual app launch. If it works in VMPlayer then you know its something about VirtualPC that's gone haywire and if doesn't work any better then it may be something has gone haywire with the virtual install itself.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've noticed that XP mode does take a fairly long time to initialize and boot XP. Does you processor support hardware virtualization? If it does, it is turned on in the BIOS?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Hi Sam

Have you tried hibernating your XP mode machine rather than shutting it down?

That is what I do and starting the XP machine takes between 30 & 60 seconds (some variation I think depending on other system activity) and then the first application opens in under 15 seconds after the login. I don't usually open the full desktop, however, just the application(s) I want to use, so my XP desktop is only 600x800 plain screen with very few icons.

System is 2.8ghz Intel core duo with 8 gig ram, but I have never used more than 3 gig so yours should be quicker if anything. I am using hardware virtualization, and Joe's point there is a very good one.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed VMPlayer version 3.1.0 as Byron suggested. I have installed 6 of my XP programs on this virtual machine and they all work fine. I am just adding one program at a time and then test it before I add another.
    I tried to uninstall Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode but I do not think I got all the files removed because when I tried to reinstall both programs I kept getting the message that certain files were already installed.
    If I uninstall the Windows XP mode from the Windows Virtual PC folder will that effect my VMPlayer or does it have it's own version of XP mode? I would like to be able to do a clean install of the Microsoft files just to see if the original problem is fixed. I did run the test program to see if the virtual feature was enabled, as Joe suggested, and everything was fine.
    Thanks, Sam

Thanks
    I have read that XP Mode does not run as quickly as the real XP in a dual boot system. The virtual environment's overhead is larger or something like that. For the life of me I can't find the references this morning.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have read that XP Mode does not run as quickly as the real XP in a dual boot system. The virtual environment's overhead is larger or something like that. For the life of me I can't find the references this morning.
    There is always some overhead in running a VM. The advantage of XP mode (or any VM) is that you don't have boot into a different OS. In VMware the overhead is generally thought to be about 3%. I expect that Windows Virtual PC would be about the same. Although I too can't find anything definitve.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to set up the VMPlayer virtual application to add program shortcuts on the Host machine in the Unity mode. In the VM menu the Unity tab is always greyed out and I cannot enter the Unity mode. I have setup all the Unity features in the Set preferences menu including "enable applications mode". I am not sure what this statement refers to in the Setup notes - "On Windows guest, a Start menu appears". Does this refer to the Virtual machine or the host Win 7 machine?
    Thanks, Sam

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what is wrong but it seems consistent at least between the Unity item being greyed out and the "virtual environment for launching applications has been closed" message. I've not had the Unity item be greyed out to date and I've imported 3 XP Modes so far.

When it does work, the virtual desktop goes away and there is a new rectangular button just above the start button that is labeled XP Mode and it contains a dropdown menu to all the programs that can be launched from XP Mode without having to be on the virtual desktop.