Thanks
    I typically use the SeaMonkey browser but this problem also shows up in Firefox and the IE.

I made a start page (thank you Woody!) for my browser. I use the same page for all 3 browsers. It is a Word document saved as an HTML doc and I use the Word doc as my "home" or "open with" page. The doc is basically a list of links that I click on and go to wherever.

The last couple of weeks or so I noticed that when I click on the link that takes me to Google, it ends up at https.google.com rather than http.google.com The s after the http takes me to the Google beta page, not the Google.com page. Same thing with my link for gmail. It also goes to https.gmail.com

I know from reading your newsletters, Woody’s site, and these fantastic boards that gmail recently defaulted to the https site. So I wondered if when checking into gmail, I somehow defaulted the browser setting.

Strangely, my hubby uses a similar setup, including the gmail link. He has noticed no changes at all.

What is strange and suspicious to me (and why I am so concerned about this) is that my saved Word doc has been altered! I don't see how that could happen unless *I* did so. Which I have not done!

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miladytn View Post
    What is strange and suspicious to me (and why I am so concerned about this) is that my saved Word doc has been altered! I don't see how that could happen unless *I* did so. Which I have not done!
    You're right, a document saved on your PC should not be altered by any site you visit. I think it might be possible for Google to have an option to interact with its sites using a secure (HTTPS) connection, but I'm not sure where that would be set. Do you have a Google toolbar? Could it be in your GMail account settings?

Thanks
    I apologize if this ends up a double post. I thought I replied but do not see it.

I do not have Google toolbar, nor any toolbars. Call me old-fashioned but I prefer doing things myself

I checked my gmail settings and don't see anything suspicious or that appears to be related to creating this problem.

Another thing I want to mention is this. When I look at my home/start page and when I look at the Word doc, and hover over the link, I do not see the S included in the preview of the link. It was only after investigating why this happened that I discovered the problem. When I edit the hyperlink in the Word doc, that's when I finally see the S included in the link.

Thanks
    I checked my gmail settings and don't see anything suspicious or that appears to be related to creating this problem.
    Here's Google's article about switching the default protocol for GMail from HTTP to HTTPS: Changing the HTTPS setting - Gmail Help. Not sure whether that affects www.google.com as well (I log out before doing searches).

Thanks
    Thank you, jscher. I noticed that article when I was reviewing the gmail settings. Neither of those boxes is checked. I am never on a public computer so I just left them as they are and didn't check either. I only log in to Google to check gmail and always sign out before searching or going elsewhere.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I made a start page (thank you Woody!) for my browser. I use the same page for all 3 browsers. It is a Word document saved as an HTML doc and I use the Word doc as my "home" or "open with" page. The doc is basically a list of links that I click on and go to wherever.

Strangely, my hubby uses a similar setup, including the gmail link. He has noticed no changes at all.
    Hello - What happens if you back up your pertinent doc/html files and replace them with a copy of your hubby's pertinent doc/html files?

Tim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Firefox
    To the right of the Address Bar is the Search Bar
    The right hand end of S.B. has an icon like a magnifying lens
    The left hand end has a dropdown list with an icon denoting the current search engine

Search engines now available to me are
    Yahoo
    Google
    Wikepedia
    Google Secure.

You probably have "Google Secure" as your current choice.
    I suggest you alter the selection in the dropdown list.

N.B. I will not be using this when I re-install Firefox. It was recommended to me but I find no use for it.

If any-one wants this facility the procedure is at
    http://www.addictivetips.com/interne...efox-security/

Alan

Thanks
    Thank you Alan for that wonderful tip. If that option is available in SeaMonkey I cannot find it. I checked Firefox and that option is not selected. In fact, that option is not there at all.

I've pretty much given up trying to figure out how this happened. I went back to my Word doc and edited the hyperlink to remove the s after the http. I don't mind the supposedly more secure site (and I may revert back to it), I was just curious how my start page was changed. I've been browsing, signing it and out to many sites, doing things as I normally do, and it has not (yet!) changed after my edits.

Computers are strange creatures sometimes. I like puzzles, but after enough looking for an answer that may never found be found, I just give up.

Thanks to ALL of you for your help and wonderful hints.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That option was not available to me either.

First of all I had to add to Firefox the extension "Add to Search Bar 2.0"
    I assume that this might also work on SeaMonkey.

Then I followed the instructions at :-
    http://www.addictivetips.com/interne...efox-security/

In the middle is a section starting with
    "Now select this new search engine from the Search Bar context menu as shown in the screenshot below."

That screenshot was useless.
    I spent ages looking through Tools/Options and everywhere else trying to find that Search Bar context menu.
    I had never before noticed the itsy bitsy down arrow that reveals the drop down list of search engines.
    Hence in case anyone else had difficulty I gave the navigation details :-
    "To the right of the Address Bar is the Search Bar"
    "The right hand end of S.B. has an icon like a magnifying lens"
    "The left hand end has a dropdown list with an icon denoting the current search engine"

If the extension "Add to Search Bar 2.0" is available for Seamonkey,
    then you probably can implement a secure search.
    If you still have difficulty search for
    "seamonkey forum""

Alan