2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a very annoying behavior in Windows that I would like to get rid of. I think it arrived with Windows XP but it may have been introduced in Windows 2000, I donít recall.

Anyway, when I am scrolling down a detail list of files in a folder that has a lot of files in it, I stop scrolling at some point and may even select one of the files. After about 4 or 5 seconds the window showing the folder jumps and repositions the window so that the files I see are now moved up or down (usually up I think) from where it was just before that. It usually positions the selected file so that itís near, though not quite, at the top of the screen.

I have never liked or wanted this behavior but I have put up with it for years. Lately, however, itís taken on an even more irritating flavor. Say I am scrolling down the files in the folder and stop and select a file, then right-click the file name to rename it. It opens the small window showing the file name and a cursor so I can type in the new name. If I do all of this in the 4 or 5 seconds before this ďjumpĒ happens it moves the rename window to another file in the folder!

This ďjumpĒ behavior is very irritating to put it mildly. I have looked in Folder Options and System in Control Panel to see if I can find a parameter that turns off this behavior but so far havenít been able to find anything.

Questions
    1) Does anyone know if there is parameter that will turn off this stupid behavior in Windows XP? If so, where is it?

2) Anyone know if this behavior is still there in Windows 7?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's your PC struggling to keep up with your requirements. Add more memory and it will go away.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    It's your PC struggling to keep up with your requirements. Add more memory and it will go away.

cheers, Paul
    I am a little skeptical of your solution. What experience do you have that leads you to this answer?

My reasons for being skeptical are -
    1) I have 2 Gb of RAM with a 2.50 Ghz processor - Even at today's standards 2 Gb is not espcially low. But my PC is 8 years old so 2 Gb is the max it will hold.
    2) I was getting this "jump" behavior from day 1 when I purchased this pc 8 years ago and before I had added the multitude of applications I have now.
    3) I added more RAM last year, moving from 768 Mb to 2 Gb. The "jump" behavior occurred both before and after this change with the same frequency.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I had the same behaviour develop after a couple of years on my machine and the extra RAM fixed it - a defrag made it better for a few weeks.
    You didn't say it happened from day one. I would suspect a slow / odd hard disk or even a machine issue. Maybe after 8 years it is time to upgrade?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dglarson View Post
    1) I have 2 Gb of RAM with a 2.50 Ghz processor - Even at today's standards 2 Gb is not espcially low. But my PC is 8 years old so 2 Gb is the max it will hold.
    2) I was getting this "jump" behavior from day 1 when I purchased this pc 8 years ago and before I had added the multitude of applications I have now.
    3) I added more RAM last year, moving from 768 Mb to 2 Gb. The "jump" behavior occurred both before and after this change with the same frequency.
    What type of cpu is installed on the motherboard? Have you checked to see if your motherboard was actually rated to handle 2 GB of ram? While not unheard of, an eight year old consumer PC that can run 2 GB of ram seems a little unusual. I have a 7 year old Pentium 4 using an Intel motherboard that was tested and rated for a total of 1 GB of ram but was actually designed to accomodate 2 GB ram. However, Intel would not support 2 GB because they never tested or certified the board to run with 2 GB. Have you ever updated your BIOS on this machine?

You mentioned your computer exhibited this behavior 8 years ago. Is some of the original ram part of the 2 GB you are running now? If so, why not remove the old ram and see how the PC performs with just the newer ram installed.

Open Task Manager and observe the cpu usage by the various processes on your computer. Do you see your cpu maxed out to 100% quite often? If so, is there any one process dominating the cpu? Your description of the behavior is as though something is hogging resources on your computer. Two useful tools for checking start up programs that run in the background as well as analyzing Task Manager chores in more detail are Autoruns and Process Explorer , both are Sysinternals utilities now owned by Microsoft. Process Explorer will allow you to right click a process and select search online . This is useful in identifying what a process does, and can tell you if the process is important or possibly even some type of malware.

You might also download your hard drive manufacturer's utility for testing your hard drive. What size hard drive and free hard drive space do you have now?

Is Windows managing your page file? Or do you have the page file set at a fixed size? With 2 GB of ram, your recommended page file would be approx. 3 GB.

Try running chkdsk /f to check/fix errors on your hard drive. From the Start menu right click on cmd and select Run as Administrator and press enter. Follow the prompts to reboot for the chkdsk operation to continue.

If none of this helps, if you have never wiped your hard drive clean to reinstall XP, I would probably do that. Eight years is a long time to run one installation of XP unless some very careful maintenance has been performed on the OS over the years.

Oh, some of this type of behavior is in Windows 7 by design, but is uncommon in XP. Go figure.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update - Well, I now have a new PC with 4 Gb of RAM and running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I still get this crazy jump behavior that I described above.

I have always wondered if this was due to a virus but none of my antivirus scans has come up with anything.

Any new ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It may as simpls as new batteries in the mouse?

Thanks
    This almost seems like something outside the PC. I have never seen these type actions on my PCes, with either XP, Vista, Win 7 or Win 8 DP. Did you get a new keyboard/mouse with the new PC? This really does not sound like a PC/sofware error. If you did get a new keyboard/mouse, see if updated drivers are available. Often the keyboard/mouse devices that are provided OEM with PCes are not exactly top of the line devices. I might try a different combination. On my desktop system I had a wireless keyboard/mouse combination that connected through a receiver to USB on the PC. It sometimes was very strange on how it worked.

I hope this helps, but without being able to see the problem and being unable to reproduce the problem, these are only guesses. If this is a new PC, it should be under waranty. Perhaps a visit to the shop to have a look would be appropriate.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you have a big number of files in any folder, windows explorer will need some time to display them all (and windows dialog boxes will too). Until all the files are displayed, I usually refrain from interacting with any of the files.

I think the responsability for this lies somewhere between Windows Explorer and the regular harddrives in use. It would be interesting to see if the same behavior occurs with SSDs.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know if its the same behavior exactly as described but a listing will jump if its a network location and you are looking at the local data for that folder before the network located drive spins up and updates the list to current. Might happen with a local drive as well if its not spun up, not sure.

If its actually repositioning the files in the list towards the top I have no clue.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried Ted Meyers' suggestion and upgraded the mouse software. At first I thought this solved it, but then, about 1 week later the behavior returned.

Looking back at my post, I realize that I never stated that this behavior doesn't just happen in Windows Explorer. It also happens in IE, Word, Excel, even Notepad. This is why I have always assumed that its either 1) a virus (scans have NEVER found anything), or 2) A Windows bug, or 3) a Windows Feature. But posts at this site and other sites about this behavior have led me to conclude its not a feature.