Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Norton 2010

  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    784
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I suscribe to Norton 2010, does the license only allow me (1 user) to use it? Also, up to how many computers can it be installed on?

    If I choose not to update my subscription, it is true that I will be able to continue to use Norton Antiviurus on my computer but I simply won't get the updated virus, worm, and spyware definitions? Finally, if I choose not to update, will I be able to conintue to use Norton's "Cards & Log-ins" feature, which I installed when I first purchased Norton?

    Thank you.

    JMT

  2. #2
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Symantec offers numerous Norton suites and licenses. Norton 360 and Norton Internet Security store logins; Norton Antivirus does not (see http://www.symantec.com/norton/internet-security). Do you recall which product or product bundle you have?

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Calif
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Hi JMT :

    Based on Symantec/Norton's very poor performance in "Retrospective/
    proactive" ( the degree of effectiveness of keeping malware OFF a
    computer ) testing done by the Independent Researchers at
    http://www.av-comparatives.org , they or McAfee would be the last
    Choice for a security program on my computer . Norton had the
    lowest "score" of 36% with an "Advanced Certification" level
    ( many Others had an "Advanced Plus Certification" level ) . If I were
    you, I would look into GData ( 66% & an Advanced Plus Certification
    level) or a perennial high "scorer" like NOD32 from Eset Software .

    I have discovered that Norton, on at least one product, uses the
    suspect "Cloud"-based Approach to security .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

    http://www.ctftoronto.com

  4. #4
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    784
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A few years back, I posted on "Woody's Lounge" about Norton Antivirus and got a handful of replies telling me that it was a resource hog and I could get a good product such as AVG for cheaper or free. However upon searching the lounge for "Norton jmt356" I didn't find this post. Is it because it is too old and has been archived or deleted because it was in the predecessor to this Lounge? Can anyone else find it?

    By the way, part of the reason I am looking at other anti-malware products is because Norton, despite the fact that I spent $50 last year to update my definitions, let the Malware Doctor (a rogue anti-spyware program that automatically installs itself on victim computers) through to my computer. It was nearly impossible to remove.

    As a side note, if anyone knows who the programmers behind Malware Doctor are, please let me know.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Calif
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Hi JMT :

    When it comes to "Rogue" programs, One should be very careful with
    using the specific "Name" of the program, because different techniques
    are used. "Malware Doctor" was a clone of a program called
    "AntiSpy Knight" and during 2009, most "Rogues" were relatively easy
    to fight by using the PRIMARY program developed for this purpose
    called "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware", available at
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php .
    The latter "type" of "Rogues" being developed nowadays, like
    Antimalware Doctor, usually require a PRELIMINARY "step" be used,
    either "rkill.com" or "exeHelper" ( I prefer exeHelper ) , PRIOR to using
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware . Malwarebytes Anti-Malware comes in a
    "Free" or "Professional" version, the latter providing real-time
    protection . In addition, some Rogues require a preliminary step of using
    the FREE "Process Explorer" program .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

    http://www.ctftoronto.com

  6. #6
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt356 View Post
    However upon searching the lounge for "Norton jmt356" I didn't find this post. Is it because it is too old and has been archived or deleted because it was in the predecessor to this Lounge? Can anyone else find it?
    Old posts are still around. Try the advanced search, where you can separate your keywords from your username. Was it this thread: [topic=673337]Spyware/adware/malware/worms[/topic]?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmt356 View Post
    By the way, part of the reason I am looking at other anti-malware products is because Norton, despite the fact that I spent $50 last year to update my definitions, let the Malware Doctor (a rogue anti-spyware program that automatically installs itself on victim computers) through to my computer. It was nearly impossible to remove.
    It's always difficult to determine how malware arrived on your computer. Most AV software that offers "real time" protection checks file when they are read from or written to disk. If malware can defeat the on-access scanner, by using rootkit technology and/or by killing the scanner in memory before installing itself, then as you say, you are stuck cleaning up the mess. The most critical element to avoiding these problems is to keep your browser, operating system, and plugin/ActiveX software patched up to date, as well as having your AV update itself frequently. Secondarily, you can use web reputation tools to avoid accessing web sites that distribute malware. For example: Web Protection Add-On from Trend Micro USA.

  7. #7
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    784
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    JScher,

    That's the post I was looking for. I'm surprised it didn't show up when I typed "jmt356 norton" into the search box. I'll try Advanced next time.

    I am surprised at how much and how fast the annual subscriptions to Norton Antivirus are going up every year. This year, it is up to $49.99 for Norton Internet Security. Back in 2008, it was $42.79 for renewal; in 2007, it was $39.99 for one year. This si getting ridiculously expensive. Norton Anti-Virus is making way too much money by charging each user so much money every year. What's it going to be next year? $60 renewal?

    Do you or anyone happen to know how many licenses come with that renewal? I.e. can I install Norton on the 3 computers in my household?

    On another note, I seem to recall that when Norton was not renewed years back, I was able to still access the program, it would run its weekly scans, etc. The only thing I was no longer getting was the virus definition updates. Now all of that seems to have changed. Norton appears to be completely 100% deactivated. Which is quite disheartening since I paid so much to purchase it years ago and didn't realize that the entire program would be deactivated like this. Is this normal?

    Final question: does anyone have any experience with password storage and auto login software and if so, would they recommend Roboform (http://www.roboform.com/download.html) or Free Password Manager Plus (http://free-password-manager-plus.so....informer.com/) and are these programs safe?

  8. #8
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt356 View Post
    Do you or anyone happen to know how many licenses come with that renewal? I.e. can I install Norton on the 3 computers in my household?
    Some are 1 user and some are 3 users, if I recall that chart correctly. Not sure whether renewals are treated differently than new purchases.

    Quote Originally Posted by jmt356 View Post
    Final question: does anyone have any experience with password storage and auto login software and if so, would they recommend Roboform (http://www.roboform.com/download.html) or Free Password Manager Plus (http://free-password-manager-plus.so....informer.com/) and are these programs safe?
    The program LastPass has been recommended as a password manager: post #836956. I haven't tried it myself.

  9. #9
    Plutonium Lounger Medico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,631
    Thanks
    161
    Thanked 936 Times in 856 Posts
    All,

    First I would uninstall Norton completely using a good uninstaller program such as Revo uninstaller. I would then clean the registry and a lot of other "stuff" using CCleaner. These are both free, can't get much cheaper than that. I would then switch to MSE, a free AV/AM program from MS (something free from MS?????) that is very highly rated and runs very quietly in the background providing both AV and AM protection. I would use the aforementioned MalwareBytes to run periodic scans. This combined with keeping everything up to date should solve most security problems and provide most home users the security they need.

    The best part is that all the apps I mention are FREE!!!

    I do use Last Pass, the app Jeff mentions. It is wonderful and also is FREE!!!! You start to get my drift, many of the better apps available are free to use. Why pay Symantec the ever increasing annual fees for the right to use their programs. Yes they are making a lot of money off loyal customers.

    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted


    Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)


    Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

  10. #10
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    784
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is anyone aware of any free anti-malware that has all of the following features:
    - Anti-virus (as well as worm & anti-Trojan Horse); and
    - Anti-spyware
    Does AVG, Avast, or MSE cover all of these?

    I figure, with my Windows Firewall running, a program that covers those basics should give me thorough protection.

    Also, JScher: How did you find that old post? It didn’t show up for me in Advanced search when I typed “JMT356” and "Norton." I only got these hits: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...e&fromsearch=1.

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,584
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt356 View Post
    Is anyone aware of any free anti-malware that has all of the following features:
    - Anti-virus (as well as worm & anti-Trojan Horse); and
    - Anti-spyware
    Does AVG, Avast, or MSE cover all of these?
    MSe does. It is lightweight and has had several favorable reviews. See Microsoft Security Essentials | Protect against viruses, spyware, and other malware for more information and a download link.

    Joe
    Joe

  12. #12
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Calif
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Hi JMT :

    I have been happily using the FREE Avast Antivirus Home Edition for
    several years; one of its major advantages over MSE is that Avast's
    Online Support Forums are excellent, with an Expert, Certified,
    Volunteer "Malware Removal Specialist" helping people with very
    serious malware Issues. You can read about the program at
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

    http://www.ctftoronto.com

  13. #13
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmt356 View Post
    Also, JScher: How did you find that old post? It didn’t show up for me in Advanced search when I typed “JMT356” and "Norton."
    Make sure you enter jmt356 in the separate box for username. It is not part of the post text.

  14. #14
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    784
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Taylor View Post
    Hi JMT :

    I have been happily using the FREE Avast Antivirus Home Edition for
    several years; one of its major advantages over MSE is that Avast's
    Online Support Forums are excellent, with an Expert, Certified,
    Volunteer "Malware Removal Specialist" helping people with very
    serious malware Issues. You can read about the program at
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download .
    Robin: does Avast come with anti-virus as well as anti-spyware, anti-worm, and anti-Trojan Horse?

  15. #15
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Calif
    Posts
    182
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Hi JMT :

    Perhaps the "Comparison Chart" section of the Avast website
    provides a clearer picture of the program !? See :
    http://www.avast.com/comparison-chart .

    The FREE Version provides antispyware, antiworm, and
    antitrojanhorse protection.
    It also has 7 "Providers/Shields", though I only have 5
    "active" on my computer .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

    http://www.ctftoronto.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •