2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since Media Center is an intregal part of Vista it cannot be uninstalled and reinstalled from what I understand. I get the message "Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt. Media Center component registration may have failed." This occurs when I select TV from the menu. I have a digital antenna (no cable) attached. I have seen many articles listed in a Google search but I am confused by many responses. Any suggestions?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If this is a recent problem and Media Center used to work try a System Restore.

If that is not an option or does not work, try using Control Panel | Programs | Turn Windows features on or off. Media Center should be in the Media Features section. Uncheck to uninstall. Then re-boot and select Media Center again to reinstall.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion but when I went to the "turn Windows features on or off" a smaller box appeared but no programs or features were listed. It was empty. Now what?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, that is not good. Does your user account have administrative privileges?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I use Control Panel/User Accounts I am the only account listed. I am the administrator. Maybe the problem with WMC is the least of my problems. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    There are procedures that you can use to repair the original problem you posted about Media Center, but there is apparently much more going on.

I would first run an antivirus scan and perhaps a MalwareBytes Anti-malware free version scan to rule out any nasties.

Next, right click cmd on the Start menu and select Run as administrator . Type in the Command prompt screen: chkdsk /f and press enter. You should see a message that chkdsk cannot run because your drive is locked and needs you to answer "y" if you want to start chkdsk upon reboot. Answer in the affirmative and press enter.

Exit the command prompt window and reboot your computer. Chkdsk will check you hard drive and make any repairs it can. After this you might consider doing a Repair install to fix you Vista installation. Boot to your Vista DVD and select the option to do a Repair install.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for those suggestions. I already tried both of the methods described in KB 931712 and neither worked. I will try your idea this weekend.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the chkdsk/f and no errors were found and the Malwarebytes found three trojan/zlob's. No change in the Media Center or in populating the Programs and Features List. I also noticed that 8 of the last 20 Windows Updates failed to install. I think I may have to bite the bullet and rebuild my system (HP). I have the recovery disks I made when the system was new. Prior to that I would like to try the repair feature of Windows. Would the recovery disks give me that option? How can I get a Vista disk that would give me that option? There is a partition on my hard drive for recovery but I find no documentatio on using it to repair windows. Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks
    In all likelihood the recovery disks you made when your HP system was new, and the recovery partition on your hard drive will restore your computer to the state it was in the day you brought it home. It is a common situation. Your will need to obtain a Vista installation DVD to do a repair install which would leave all your user settings and applications intact. You could try HP to see if they will send you a Vista DVD for a nominal fee. If not, the best bet would be to backup your data files and use the recovery disks to restore you installation.

I would restore the computer to the factory fresh state and after removing all the junk HP allowed on the hard drive, reinstall your apps and copy your data back. Then, I would do an image backup using a program like Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect Free Edition here , so you will be ready the next time something major comes up.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I contacted Microsoft with a chat session and the tech used remote assist to fix my system. It took two hours and several reboots but we got all updates installed andpermission reset for many features. The Programs and Features list willnow populate correctly but the Media Center will not play. Thanks for all you help in this matter.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you still getting an error message? If so, is the same as before?

Have you checked the event logs since the other issues were resolved?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My Media Center is now fully functional. Yesterday, I had a chat and Easy Assist session with one of Microsofts men in India and he was able to reset the permissions I needed. I have a copy of the chat session but the real work was in what he did with various attempts with sysinternals and scannow. Thanks to all who offered suggestions and clearly my system was corrupted on several levels.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Glad you go it worked out. It seems unusual (but nice) when support from a large company works these days. Thanks for posting back.

Joe