2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend has just bought a 1Tb LaCie drive to connect to his various home machines, all of which run XP home SP3.

Under Explorer or My Computer, the drive is not recognised. Within device manager the drive is listed with no cautionary marks.

Under Disk Management the drive is included within the table buit is shown as 'GPT protected partition'.

As far as I am aware GPT is the 64 bit version file format.

Contacted LaCie but they are just assuming that the drive has got corrupted in some way. No doubt it will take at least 6 or 7 emails to get some sort of sense out of them.

In the meantime has anyone got any ideas?

BTW, when connected to either of my WIN7 machines, the drives behaves perfectly

David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - Are your own Win7 machines set up as 64 bit? Does the LaCie packaging/manual say how the disk was formatted? Possibly formatted for Apple? Is there any important info on the disk? If yes, how did it get there?

I am thinking maybe using "diskpart" utility in DOS. Be careful.

Tim

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    All you ever wanted to know about GPT partitions.
    You cannot use an external GPT formatted disk in XP.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Since he hasn't written anything to the drive, simply Delete the GPT partition in Disk Management and Create a new NTFS one.

If 32 bit XP's Disk Management won't let you delete a 64 bit GPT, delete it on your Win7 machine then plug the squeaky-clean unpartitioned drive back into his XP machine and you should now be able to create and format a new NTFS partition.
    Happy Computing,

Rich