2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, here i am on vacation overseas. Most of the hotels here supply 220VAC only. In the past my experience with this has been mixed. I once has an electric shaver that clearly said 100 to 240VAC. It was built in the US. It fried after about 1 hours use at 220VAC. I also purchased some chargers overseas that clearly said 100 to 240VAC. They worked fine in this country of 220VAC, but did not work at all in the US. My new notebook is ACER. I believe it comes from UK. It does say 100 to 240VAC. But, can i believe that??? Would there be heat problems @ 220VAC??? Or worse yet, will it fry??? I don't want to ruin my new notebook. That would defeat the whole purpose.
    Guys, gals, what do you think??? What is your view???
    Michael

Thanks
    Perhaps it would be worthwhile finding a repair tech. or a competent sales area where ever you are to ask that question. It would be bad to fry your new laptop. If the voltages aren't within a fairly narrow limit, that's what may happen. How long do you plan to be on vacation? Perhaps you can live without it for a short while. I personally would not take a chance with my laptop. it's not worth the risk.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is only a "view".

The electric shaver could have fried because of the FREQUENCY of the current instead of the voltage. In the US we run at 60hrtz (60 cycles per minute) in many countries electricity runs at 50hrtz. Your laptop adapter is going to change the power to dc so this should not be an issue.

I lived in asia for a couple years and we had a hair clipper from the US that was 110 that we ran on a transformer, it always made a terribly clattering racket due to the 50hrtz issue.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I took my Dell laptop (bought in the USA) with me on my last three trips overseas - Netherlands, Germany and England. The AC adapter worked just fine on the 220 volts. My niece recently went to Germany and had the same experience with her Toshiba laptop. I also plugged my MP3 player and Sony camera battery directly into the 220V power supply.

One recommendation - take an extension cord with you. Plug the extension cord into the wall adapter plug - then you can plug in three devices at once.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My granddaughter went to the UK two weeks ago for a summer missionary job. Her 4 year old Fujitsu laptop died just a couple of days before she was to leave so I let her take my new Gateway notebook. She is using an adapter to convert the 110VAC us plug type to the standard UK type plug. So far it has been working well.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am in the Philippines. I found common transformers at hardware stores. They come in all sizes from 50w to 1500W and transform 220VAC to 110VAC. My ACER notebook consumes 65W, so i purchased a 100W transformer. It is about the size of my fist. Weighs about a pound. Cost approx $11. Unfortunately the output receptacle was 2 prong and the ACER cord is 3 prong. Another $0.50 for adapter and I am now in business. Don't know if 220VAC would damage notebook or not, but am real comfortable with this transformer.
    Michael

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Michael, good morning. You wrote :

Don't know if 220VAC would damage notebook or not, but am real comfortable with this transformer.

Did you read properly all that is printed on your power supply brick ? I have three Thinkpads and one Toshiba and all their P/S bricks will internally cater to your problem. The electronics in them will control the current to what is needed. The writing says : 100 to 240 V at 50 or 60 Hz, this is the input, the output is triac controlled to the nominal requirement of those laptops. My four bricks are thus adorned.

Got to have faith and a little reading at times saves $11.00. JP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How far are you from a replacement supply?

As mercyh said, your supply has a frequency rating in addition to voltage. The true universal supplies are 50/60 Hz and 110-240 VAC. If your supply says 50/60, which is real likely, the power at your place shouldn't be a problem. Get a plug adapter from the hotel staff.

What you might try is running the power supply without the laptop attached. That way if it blows up your laptop is still fine. I think this is very unlikely FWIW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    John Oliphant, greets.

" If your supply says 50/60, which is real likely, the power at your place shouldn't be a problem."

Any of these PSupplies output DC and thus it mattes not what the input frequency is. There are a bunch of rectifiers inside that even out the phasing and the left over ripples to a near direct current or is it dash current ??? DC anyway !

Be good. JP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    Well, here i am on vacation overseas. Most of the hotels here supply 220VAC only. In the past my experience with this has been mixed. I once has an electric shaver that clearly said 100 to 240VAC. It was built in the US. It fried after about 1 hours use at 220VAC. I also purchased some chargers overseas that clearly said 100 to 240VAC. They worked fine in this country of 220VAC, but did not work at all in the US. My new notebook is ACER. I believe it comes from UK. It does say 100 to 240VAC. But, can i believe that??? Would there be heat problems @ 220VAC??? Or worse yet, will it fry??? I don't want to ruin my new notebook. That would defeat the whole purpose.
    Guys, gals, what do you think??? What is your view???
    Michael
    You have has some unfortunatel experiences! Most notebooks these days come with a universal power supply that will work virtually anywhere in the world. The only difference will be the cable that fits between the wall plug and the power block's mains socket: the mains supply end will have a plug to match mains sockets in that location. All you should need a mains lead for the location you are travelling to.

I have used my UK supplied Samsung in the UK, Greece, US and Sri Lanka without any problems. I've also used my Remington shaver in the same places - but it is a rechargable device and not mains operated.