2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I've set up a wireless homegroup between my desktop and laptop computers. The homegroup "base" is my desktop - that's the password I use. Everything on the laptop is great: I can see my desktop, and access files. However, it doesn't work the other way around - on my desktop I can't see the laptop. I've checked the settings on both computers - everything's available for sharing, and I've made everything available through the homegroup advanced options.

I've made sure that during any tests, both computers are awake and connected to the internet (and both are connected through my router wirelessly).

Any idea why the laptop sees the desktop but not the other way around?

Thanks,

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Homegroups only work between Windows 7 PCs. Are yours all Windows 7?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, should have included that. Yes, they are both Windows 7 - the desktop Ultimate, the laptop Home Premium.

Thanks
    Hi JFD,

Assuming you have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's, try the homegroup troubleshooter. In Windows Explorer, click on Homegroups. If you see the message No other homegroup computers are currently available, click Start the HomeGroup troubleshooter . Then just follow the prompts. Initially you will see Advanced on the troubleshooter start sheet. You can click that just to confirm the troubleshooter will Apply repairs automatically .

Just this morning, I powered up my laptop and desktop and neither could detect the other on the homegroup. I clicked on the troubleshooter, and in a few moments, things were back to normal. Some of the Windows 7 troubleshooters do a very good job.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill