New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Outlook 2000 for almost 9 years, and I am mostly happy with it. Outlook is really a Microsoft unsung gem. There are thousands of hidden/undocumented features that I love. One of these I have not found on any webmail sites or in Thunderbird is the Messages with AutoPreview view. This is safer and much faster than using the Preview Pane that actually opens the message. AutoPreview shows the first few lines of text in the message - good enough in 90% of the messages to tell me if I want to open it, or not. The ability to print the calendar in many appointment book formats is amazing.

But Outlook 2000 has a problem whenever the Outlook.pst file approaches 2 GB. Outlook 2000 dies unrecoverably when Outlook.pst becomes larger than 2 GB. I need to routinely purge my outlook folders and manually select Compact Folder to be sure that this limit is not exceeded.

1. Do any later version of Outlook NOT suffer from this file size limit?

2. Are there any alternatives to Outlook that integrate the calendar as well as Outlook? Thunderbird is nice, but it does not integrate calendar support.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From Outlook 2003 forward, the pst size limit is no longer an issue. I would suggest you look at the 2007 or 2010 version - you will find many nice enhancements to what 2000 provides. Also note that 2000 support is now somewhat limited.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Caro View Post
    2. Are there any alternatives to Outlook that integrate the calendar as well as Outlook? Thunderbird is nice, but it does not integrate calendar support.
    It sounds as though you probably don't want to leave Outlook, but if you are comparing open source alternatives, Mozilla has two different calendar projects, the first of which is designed to integrate with Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/