4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a very small primary hard drive, 34.9 GB. I have 16.1 GB free and 18.8 GB used. When should I begin to consider moving my operating system to a larger hard drive?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    When should I begin to consider moving my operating system to a larger hard drive?
    Only when you find that the amount of free space is inadequate for your purposes!
    If you don't have huge video/audio/picture files, and you aren't increasing your saved files greatly, there's no obvious reason why a 35 GB drive should need replacing in the life of your PC.

Perhaps write down the free space value at the start of each month to see if there is a trend, and after a few months extrapolate to estimate how long it will be before you have only (say) 5 GB free. That will give you a fairly good answer to your question.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    The rule of thumb is to have no less than 15% of your partition drive space free and clear so Windows will have adequate space for defragging and other chores. If there is less than 15% free, defrag will not run to completion.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BATcher and Gerald. Based on what you wrote, I should not be concerned until my free space approaches around 6 GB.

Thanks
    You don't specifically state, but I suspect you may have Win XP as your OS. If at some point in time you decide the upgrade to Win 7 makes sense, and you wish to keep all your installed apps, then I would think a HD update is in order because the OS takes more space than your current OS. For example XP requires a minimum of approx 1.5 GB of space whereas Win 7 requires a minimum of approx 15 GB for 32 Bit and 20 GB for 64 Bit. Now remember these are minimum requirements, so you can see that the OS will need much more space with Win 7. Just a thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted

I suspect that a PC which originally came with a ~40 GB hard drive won't have the CPU power or memory to be practically upgraded to Windows 7!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Ted

I suspect that a PC which originally came with a ~40 GB hard drive won't have the CPU power or memory to be practically upgraded to Windows 7!
    That's most likely true. My thought was more to show moon that other than an OS change, there is most likely no reason to worry about a larger HD. I should have been a little more explicit in my thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Ted and BATcher. My computer is an IBM M50. I purchased it in 2003. It is running XP Pro. It has been very reliable. When I move to Windows 7, it will be with a new 64 bit computer. I do have some programs that will not run on a 64 bit computer, so I want to keep my IBM M50 as a second computer. Since I hope to be getting the new computer relatively soon, I am quite certain that few if any more programs will be downloaded to the computer I am using now. Base on the information you have given me, I am comfortable with the idea that 16.5 GB is more than enough to meet my needs with this computer.

Again, thank you. You all have a very Good one.