New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have upgraded Firefox to 3.6.3, but other programs won't recognize it as having been upgraded. Youtube, for example often will not open claiming that I will need a newer version of Firefox before it will function. Or, when I try to install an add on a screen often comes up saying that I can't do it until I upgrade to a newer version, and so on. But if I click on Help>About Firefox, it clearly says I have the correct upgrade. I've reinstalled it three times. It SAYS that it is upgraded. But others won't recognize it. Has anyone had this problem and know what to do about it?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Stan - What OS are you using? Any problems opening the problem YouTube sites with IE?
    In Firefox, go to Tools/Add-ons. Are your Extensions and Plugins enabled?
    What are some of the exact error messages you are getting?

You might want to run Secunia to check for vulnerable/outdated programs/plugins.
    http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Duncan View Post
    But if I click on Help>About Firefox, it clearly says I have the correct upgrade. I've reinstalled it three times.
    Possibly your security software or a browser setting is blocking your user agent string. Try this test page and see what it reports in the top section and in the framed page:

http://dev.jeffersonscher.com/jstest.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tim,
    I'm using windows XP--an old system, but still works well and I'm too poor to upgrade.

My issue is not problem sites within Youtube, it's with opening Youtube itself. When I try to open Youtube it says I can't because I have to first install a newer version of Firefox (which I have done now a number of times). It does then go ahead and open the video for me, though. It's possible that Youtube thinks (wrongly) that I don't have a new version of Firefox that it compatible with their new version, so it shunts me back into the old version of Youtube. I don't know. By the way, I did try it in IE and it opened fine without the warning pop up. So the issue is just with Firefox.

But Youtube is not the only program that does that. Several sites say that to me. And a lot of the addons and plugins will not install because they say that I don't have an upgraded version of Firefox and they won't work with my supposed old one. LogMeIn opens slowly because it says I should install a Firefox "remote access" plug-in that would help facilitate the process. But when I try to install it Firefox rejects it saying that I don't have install script 204. I don't know what that means, but I suspect it is part of the same problem.

Stan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jscher,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I did go to the test page and, while I don't know what the "framed page " means, in the box at the top (perhaps what you were referring to with "top section" it said the following:
    navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/2.0.0.14;MEGAUPLOAD 1.0 GTB7.0 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    navigator.appName = Netscape
    navigator.appCodeName = Mozilla
    navigator.appVersion = 5.0 (Windows; en-US)
    navigator.platform = Win32

If I understand that correctly (and there's no reason why I should) I may be working with an old Firefox 2.0, in spite of my many attempts to upgrade it.

Stan

Thanks
    I did go to the test page and, while I don't know what the "framed page " means, in the box at the top (perhaps what you were referring to with "top section" it said the following:
    navigator.userAgent = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/2.0.0.14;MEGAUPLOAD 1.0 GTB7.0 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    That's definitely a bit mixed up. Can you check here:

Navigate to about:config
    Click the button promising to be careful, if displayed
    In the filter box, enter: useragent

After a moment, you should see all the settings relating to the details in that browser identification string. If any have been customized, you can reset them to their original values by clicking "user set"; it should then display "default". Does that help?

Do you use the Megaupload toolbar? If not, you could disable or uninstall it and see whether that helps.

(Regarding the framed page, it's the lower part where you view the useragent string as received by the server. Typically the same as the one visible in JavaScript, but occasionally different.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to sound like such a peasant, but what does "about:config" mean? I don't know how to go there.
    Stan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to sound like such a peasant, but what does "about:config" mean? I don't know how to go there.
    Stan
    Stan - Type about:config as a web site in your address bar.

Tim