Lurker
    Thanks
    My old Compac Presario..running XP Home has started freezing up and wont shut down except with holding the power button for several seconds, I am current with McAfee
    with Automatic Updates. I know there was a bad DAT update (5988) that messed up loads of computers....and my problems started around that time. McAfee advised if I could update to latest DAT...I would be okay, I did update...but these problems continue. The sound was scratchy and now no sound at all. I cant even run a complete scan anymore without it freezing. Shutting down takes a very long time...as does start up after reboot. also, I'm getting many pop ups in Internet Explorer that I didn't get before. Does anyone see anything in all of this that rings a bell? I'm too old for all of this...should I just buy a new computer (since Windows doesnt even support XP any longer). Thanks for any help you might offer.

Thanks
    How old is your computer?
    How old is this behavior and what was done in terms of software/driver/hardware installation/ uninstallation near the time this behavior started?
    When was the last time it was clean installed or set to factory default?
    Can you make note of and list for us the errors you encounter in detail?
    Do you have the original Compac Presario XP reinstall disk that the computer came with?
    The more details provided the better; Computer make and model, et al.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    It could potentially be a poorly installed or corruptly downloaded update from McAfee;
    Try to uninstall the McAfee antivirus program or suit, run CCleaner as cleanup and registry cleaner, then reinstall the McAfee product.

Prior to uninstalling McAfee attempt to disable it's running processes, or disble it altogether and see if the behavior persists.
    You may also attempt to run your computer in safemode to see if the behavior is persistent.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    It may not be a lost cause, but as Clint states much more info would be needed to isolate whether this is a software problem or some kind of hardware failure. If the PC is old enough, perhaps it is time to retire it. Although Win 7 does take a little getting used to, you would be very pleased with the speed of a new PC, and prices are getting very reasonable on PC's that will "blow the socks off" your old Presario. If you cannot find your installation disk to reinstall XP, the new PC option may be best.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy