Thanks
    If I have a page that has several fill-in fields, once they are filled in, is there then a way to make them "static" -- not able to be changed any longer but set on the data as entered?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can lock fields so that they don't update automatically. Refer to this thread to see if this is useful for you.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Thanks Andrew!

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Selecting a field and pressing Ctrl-Shift-F9 will convert it to its results - permanently.

Selecting a field and pressing Ctrl-F11 will lock it. Selecting a locked field and pressing Ctrl-Shift-F11 will unlock it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Selecting a field and pressing Ctrl-Shift-F9 will convert it to its results - permanently.

Selecting a field and pressing Ctrl-F11 will lock it. Selecting a locked field and pressing Ctrl-Shift-F11 will unlock it.
    For whatever reason, my fields kept wanting to control things. Ctrl-Shift-F9 did exactly what I needed.

I would love to know why it does that, but being able to work around it is OK.

Thanks macropod!

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    For whatever reason, my fields kept wanting to control things. Ctrl-Shift-F9 did exactly what I needed.

I would love to know why it does that, but being able to work around it is OK.
    If you would like feedback on why particular fields are not behaving as expected, please upload a sample document. Because Ctrl+Shift+F9 converts the field codes to their results, you would need to upload a document in which you have not used that option.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    If you would like feedback on why particular fields are not behaving as expected, please upload a sample document. Because Ctrl+Shift+F9 converts the field codes to their results, you would need to upload a document in which you have not used that option.
    Jefferson, sorry for the long delay...

Here's a copy of what I'm talking about. I just tried it in Word 2007, and it did/does the same thing still, so it's both 2007 and 2010.

BTW, when I tried to upload the file I got an error that that type isn't allowed. So I changed the "dotx" extension to "txt".

Regards,
    Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Jefferson is away for a bit, so there may be a delay in hearing back from him. Looking at your attached sample, it's not exactly clear which fields are 'misbehaving' - can you point to a specific one we should look at? (by the way, I'll be away from home base Mon-Thur of this coming week, and will only have access to Word 2003 during that period - so I won't be able to look at a 2007 document for the next several days)

An alternative approach to using the Fill-in fields, would be to have a single userform appear when new documents are created from the template, with a label and textbox for each of the items you want users to enter. This would require some VBA code to do, but would have the benefit of allowing the user to fill out everything on a single form, rather than being presented with eight consecutive input boxes.

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Chuck,

Jefferson is away for a bit, so there may be a delay in hearing back from him. Looking at your attached sample, it's not exactly clear which fields are 'misbehaving' - can you point to a specific one we should look at? (by the way, I'll be away from home base Mon-Thur of this coming week, and will only have access to Word 2003 during that period - so I won't be able to look at a 2007 document for the next several days)

An alternative approach to using the Fill-in fields, would be to have a single userform appear when new documents are created from the template, with a label and textbox for each of the items you want users to enter. This would require some VBA code to do, but would have the benefit of allowing the user to fill out everything on a single form, rather than being presented with eight consecutive input boxes.

Gary
    Gary, your idea for a "form" is a great one, but what I know about VB coding would maybe fill a shot glass. So...

As for which field: it doesn't seem to matter. Any field I'm in when I try to print, or save triggers all the fill-ins all over again. So, before setting the "Lock Field, I save, then when the field queries start up, I just close out, and then come back in and then print (hopefully without any more field queries.This was my first crack at this, and I just followed the instructions, which, when the problems started, had no solutions.

I can't believe I'm the only one that ever had this problem, and therefore the only person looking for a good solution. Maybe so, but boy that seems weird.

Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With regard to printing triggering the fields, you could try turning off the setting to update fields on print: Office button > Word options > Display > look under 'Printing Options'. However there are also reasons why you might not want to turn off that setting, as the change won't be limited just to your template. Also, you would need to turn that setting off on each user's PC.

Gary

Thanks
    Thanks Gary!

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    With regard to printing triggering the fields, you could try turning off the setting to update fields on print: Office button > Word options > Display > look under 'Printing Options'. However there are also reasons why you might not want to turn off that setting, as the change won't be limited just to your template. Also, you would need to turn that setting off on each user's PC.

Gary
    Gary, I just checked my settings, and the "Update fields" and "Update linked data" are NOT checked now and were not checked, so I dunno...

Something has to be "recycling" the fill-ins.

Chuck