New Lounger
    Thanks

Can you recommend a few cleaning utilities?

Hello, I'm looking for a list of cleaning utilities. I need a few shareware and freeware utilities so I can test them out and review them.

So far I found these two:
    http://duplicatefilesdeleter.com/ - this one deletes duplicate files
    http://longpathtool.com/ - and this one deletes files with "too long" filenames

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I also use a batch file in addition to what Clint has provided:

Code:
    @Echo offcls
    cleanmgr /sageset:1000
    del /F /S /Q  "%systemroot%\temp\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\*.*

::Rem:  No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Cookies\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\recent\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\cookies\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

del /F /S /Q "C:\$Recycle.Bin.Bin\*.*" 

del /F /S /Q "C:\Recycled\*.*"

cleanmgr /sagerun:1000
    The sageset command sets the built in Disk Cleanup utility to an advanced mode. One you have run it once the sageset command can be removed from the batch file. It will be remember. Just leave the sagerun command

If you wish the command window to remain after it finished just add "pause" without the quotes as the last line
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For registry changes in particular, and assorted utilities as part of the package, I find jv16 to be very useful when needed. They have a very generous trial period with full functionality, which you might welcome as a reviewer.

By coincidence I used the utility to great advantage to cure a seemingly intractable startup problem (program not found, skipping autocheck) with a solution from Tom's Hardware, which required registry search and changes (which I am very reluctant to do from regedit), several days ago. That, however, was very rare - I normally stay out of the registry except for the no-brainer conservative cleaners.

This is not freeware ($30), and only shareware in the sense of providing a healthy trial period, but I recommend you add it to your list to try.

Edited to add that I see they have a 'Lite' version ($10) as well, so this is is surely a 'must see' for a reviewer.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2013-01-22 at 08:26.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glary also has a nice utility thats free: http://www.glarysoft.com/

Thanks
    No hesitation, CCleaner... & that's it. And just its "Sweeper" part. Always leave the (your) Registry alone.

I have used this for years & always recommend it / give it to all my clients. You will see it highly rated & constantly recommended by many IT Pros & others alike.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Thanks
    Good advise!
    Over a period of a couple of years, I tried CCleaner twice, like the average user would run it.
    Both times it trashed my OS and I had to resort to a Ghost Restore to get my computer running again.

So if you're going to use that program, avoid letting it muck about with the registry.
    As for just taking out junk files, there are many program that will do that.
    I prefer "Easy Cleaner II" for its simplicity and safety.
    It will never remove anything that could possibly cause a problem later.

For just the normal junk file removal I'll go along with Medico. A batch file, that you make yourself, will take out only what you program it to take out and nothing else. I've been writing the Cleanup batch files all the way back to Windows 98.

Disk Cleanup, on steroids is something fairly new. But it works very well indeed, to get rid of system file garbage.
    And, it's only going to take out what you program it to take out, and nothing more.
    NEVER, let it take out the "Setup Log Files".

It's always hilarious to me, when I go to a customer's house and they tell me "I cleaned out all the junk, buy my PC is still running slow."
    Then I run my own cleanup programs and take out another 100,000 junk files. And then I install and run Spybot Search & Destroy and it takes out hundreds of pieces of adware, spyware and even a few Trojans. That can really bog down any PC.

Cheers!
    Last edited by DrWho; 2013-01-26 at 09:42.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with ccleaner.. this on of my main tool for every computer I have.
    Beside from the file cleaner your may also like its windows start up application manager that will help you disable unwanted application to run during startup.

Thanks
    Jaydee,

Absolutely... in my Windows 8 I have nothing running @ Startup.

Also, add-ons are disabled

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.jpg

Thanks
    The Startup folder was created by MS Engineers, way back, to run things that will set the table (so to speak) for the meal.

I run my Cleanup batch file in the Startup folder, as well as a script to Force a new Restore point.
    Disk Cleanup can also be run from there, once it's set up to run in Extended Mode.
    Both of those take only a few seconds to run and then they're done.
    I also use that folder to launch my email program.

The Startup Folder is just another TOOL, nothing more and nothing less. Use it to your advantage or don't use it at all.
    That's one of those things that's up to the individual and should not be dictated by anyone else.

It's different than the Startup List as seen in MSCONFIG. That list can get totally blown out of proportions, by programs that want to get their foot in the door, every time you boot up your PC. I've seen PC's where that list of start-up programs will run off the bottom of the screen. In most cases all but three or four of those programs can be DE-Selected.

Then another huge area that most people don't even know about, let alone address, is the "Services".
    By default, MS enabled every service that anyone might EVER want to use. In truth, most of us Never use a good share of those Services. Many can be either disabled totally, or put into Manual mode, so they run only when needed.
    That can take a huge load off of the one and only CPU. On the "Black Viper" web site, is a list of services and which ones can be disabled and which ones can be set to 'Manual' mode, safely.
    I wrote a batch file that can disable 20+ Services in XP and nearly 40 in Win-7.

I could go on and on, with ways to optimize Windows, but then that's not what the OP asked for.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Dr.Who, you've illustrated it very well.
    I just thought that the msconfig and ccleaner startup tool are the same list.