2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Tame Windows' unruly Taskbar with ease

By Fred Langa

The Taskbars in XP, Vista, and Windows 7 have consistently misbehaved for a small but persistent number of users.

If you're one of the unlucky few whose Taskbar won't hide and unhide, or whose Taskbar mysteriously (and annoyingly) unhides itself from time to time, these tweaks may be just the ticket.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/06/03/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 15:49.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To your reader who is taking care of 1,000 computers at his school, I have a suggestion that will solve his problem quickly. And best of all, it's FREE (donateware).

Go to http://www.stevengould.org/index.php...tent&task=view and download his excellent CleanUp! application. It can be set to several different levels by clicking on the OPTIONS button, not the least of which will enable him to clean all the users on the machine at once.

Hope he enjoys it as much as I have over the years. <BTW>, this is not a new program, having last been updated in 2006, but it works well in XP, Vista, or Win7.

Gary R Hill
    the Florida Swampster

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another program for cleaning the temp files for All users is EZpcFix. Like the aforementioned CleanUp! utility, EZpcFix, doesn't seem to get updated anymore. Nonetheless, it still gets the job done. I don't know if it works with Windows Vista or 7, but it works great on Windows XP.

Chris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also support nearly 1000 PCs, although I'm fortunate that the vast majority of them are so locked down through group policy that the ONLY thing the users can access is a web browser connected to our custom web app.

But for the rest of the PCs, and all the viruses I deal with on them, I use Temp File Cleaner. It's a free java application that clears not just internet temp files for all profiles but also all the temp files created by windows security updates and other software installs. I use this not just before cleaning up an infested computer, but also before I create a ghost image, so that my image is clean and the size is minimized as much as possible.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Laura,

Thanks for you suggestion. I followed your link and have it downloaded into my toolbox. I will give it a try on a computer I am working on that belongs to Sandy Bahr (coincidence?).